HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Main Battery Died

Old 02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Main Battery Died

My 2006 Civic Hybrid was doing so well with 22,048 miles till it started periodically dumping the charge in the battery and going in to forced regeneration. This has been happening every day for the last month. Took it in to the Honda dealer but there was no code. Today, the IMA light stayed on. Lithium battery died. The dealer is replacing the battery. My only clue is the shop foreman said he had a civic hybrid with the same problem. The people split their time between two residences and left the car in the garage without it being started.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Main Battery Died

How was your use of your car? Was it similar to the shop foreman's pattern, ie: did it sometimes sit for days/weeks without use?

Anyway, good to hear it's happened within warranty period

Old 02-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Lithium battery? Where?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Enthusiast

My pattern was similar to the other gentleman. Lithium is a misquote.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast

Interesting. I may be following this pattern this coming year as I have to keep my HCH down in NC where I bought it while I try to sell my house up in Maryland. I have searched for a NMH trickle charger that would keep the traction battery in its 40-75% SOC sweet spot but I cannot find one. Not sure I know my future neighbors well enough to hand one my garage keys and car keys to start it up every three weeks. It is a nine hour drive and between work travel and trying to sell my house it is hard to plan to be in NC three week. Anyone else store their HCH a number of times?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM

I have stored mine twice for 2 mth. with no problems. Make sure the SOC is near full. With mine after 2 mths the SOC had not dropped one bip. So don't worry about it. H

Old 02-11-2009, 04:10 AM
Enthusiast

Hal-

Thanks for the experience note. This is great news for me and my situation. I am sure I can get down to my new home at least every two months. I had heard that the NMH batteries self discharge pretty fast but I do not know the rate. It is great to hear that after two months it was not a single bip. I am assuming that our bip gauge is representing a range somewhere between more then 0 and less then 100% actual SOC.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 AM

Hi Mark. There are 8 or nine bips for full charged SOC. I normally leave with it fully charged or as close to full as posible. When I return it is at the same state of charge.
Cheers'
H

Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

The Nimh pack does dot discharge that fast ... the fears are a myth. The problem is the 12 volt battery. That is the one to watch if you dont drive the car for a while.

ks

Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

As long as it's not too hot out, the 12V should hold for at least 3 months without trouble. In this whole discussion, I would be more worried about the potential for water in the gas tank due to condensation, and gumming up of the oil, than about either of the battery packs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Main Battery Died

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands