HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Metallic Engine Knocking - 06 Civic Hybrid 192k

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Metallic Engine Knocking - 06 Civic Hybrid 192k

I didnt really find anything in the forums for this issue.

Last week my civic hybrid started making a metallic knocking noise in the engine. When I checked the oil it was over a quart low. I did not get an oil light at any point since my last oil change. No leaks in my garage and when I checked the CEL codes there was nothing for oil related issues. Just the hybrid battery code. My car also showed no signs of oil burn in the exhaust either.

Once oil was added the knocking still occurred. I had my mechanic look at it the next day. They checked the valves and tore down the top of the engine quite a bit and found nothing. Their diagnosis was a wrist pin or rod bearing in the lower part of the engine. While I was troubleshooting on my own the sound stopped when I disconnected the 2 coil connectors on piston no. 3. Also when the motor goes into a lean burn mode while driving the sounds stops completely.

Just looking for advice on a repair. If its hard to check or costly to fix a wrist pin or rod bearing I will have to look for a new vehicle.

I'm going to try to post a video of the sound.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1319.TRIM.MOV (4.80 MB, 332 views)