HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Motown No Town for Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Motown No Town for Hybrids

Public stiffs green cars at Detroit auto show [Henry Payne]

After rolling out green products to wow the assembled media hordes, the auto show public stiffed the green products.

Ignoring the PC hybrid and hydrogen concepts salivated over by the press, a panel of 100 Detroit News readers gave their Best-in-Show awards to gas-guzzling products like the 600 HP Corvette ZR-1, the 20 mpg Chrysler 300C, and the Ford F-150 pickup.

Not a green car made the list, except for the Honda Civic Hybrid — and only in the “Most Earth Friendly” category.

It’s more evidence that green priorities are well down the list for buyers when it comes to choosing a vehicle.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 AM
HypoFueler
Default Re: Motown No Town for Hybrids

Yes, but if you have to blow by the speed limit quickly and look COOL doing it, the ZR1 is the vehicle for you. Its obviously six times the car (HP wise) that the HCH2 is....

Did any of the panel of 100 happen to work for the Big 3?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Most people in the US and other countries prefer comfort, power, cost, and safety over any benefit a hybrid can bring.

- comfort, people want to drive what "they" deem comfortable. Example, I thought Mercedes was a good car, when I bought one I found out it was a piece of crap, but someone else will believe it is the best car on the market.

- power, people enjoy being able to step on the gas pedal and having that translate to moving faster. Example, when merging on a highway system, they want to pass to merge not slow down to pull in. Actually, when my other cars had V6 motors, I was able to keep my car at the speed limit easier then with a 4 cylinder. My V6 engines use to stay at a lower rpm to sustain a speed limit than on my current hybrid which the rpms climb to stay at a speed under 35mph...

- cost, the one thing people have in common is money. No matter how much or little you make, it will influence your buying decision. It isn't as simple as "lets save the environment". People need certain vehicles to do specific jobs. When comparing the same vehicle like the Civic LX to a Civic Hybrid the different is huge. Until the cost of hybrids come down to the same price of regular gas run version, people will have this dilemma to choose.

- safety, some people like having more metal around them than what is found in today's hybrid market. People's perception of hybrids are little Tonka toys made by Toyota. Now that doesn't mean there are no hybrids bigger than that, Ford, Chevy, Toyota all make truck based hybrids and larger cars but at the expense of mpg.

Until a real solution comes to market in an affordable price/comparison, people will continue to see hybrids as a knee jerk reaction from the Japanese.. (Toyota/Honda) Tougher laws pass down by Congress will ensure this will happen. Manufacture are now called to task to make engines more fuel efficient and the law gets tougher over time.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by arbittan
Most people in the US and other countries prefer comfort, power, cost, and safety over any benefit a hybrid can bring.

You seem to be generalizing about whole classes of people - after admonishing other posters for generalizing about "the affluent class". What are the "other countries" - Canada, places where fuel is a cheap $3/gallon or where there is lots of"affluence" going on , like Luxembourg? I agree that many feel that Hybrids are uncomfortable, underpowered, high cost and unsafe (especially in MoTown) whether or not they have any facts to back it up.

- comfort, people want to drive what "they" deem comfortable. Example, I thought Mercedes was a good car, when I bought one I found out it was a piece of crap, but someone else will believe it is the best car on the market.

- power, people enjoy being able to step on the gas pedal and having that translate to moving faster. Example, when merging on a highway system, they want to pass to merge not slow down to pull in. Actually, when my other cars had V6 motors, I was able to keep my car at the speed limit easier then with a 4 cylinder. My V6 engines use to stay at a lower rpm to sustain a speed limit than on my current hybrid which the rpms climb to stay at a speed under 35mph...

Correct me if I am wrong, but most "mergees" are to yield to those exiting the freeway, not pass them, but most do not WANT to yield nor do they WANT to go the limit once merged. My HCH seems to go the speed limit just fine - whether by using CC or my foot on the throttle. Yes, I suppose many drivers would be annoyed that their Hybrid actually had to go over 3-4k rpms for "V6 like acceleration".

- cost, the one thing people have in common is money. No matter how much or little you make, it will influence your buying decision. It isn't as simple as "lets save the environment". People need certain vehicles to do specific jobs. When comparing the same vehicle like the Civic LX to a Civic Hybrid the different is huge. Until the cost of hybrids come down to the same price of regular gas run version, people will have this dilemma to choose.

Actually one thing "affluent people" have in common is more money on hand than "less affluent people" do. Yes, different car makes/models may have different costs (LX vs EX too...). I suppose the dilemma for many is if the improved FE with the Hybrid offsets the higher ($2k...) price.

- safety, some people like having more metal around them than what is found in today's hybrid market. People's perception of hybrids are little Tonka toys made by Toyota. Now that doesn't mean there are no hybrids bigger than that, Ford, Chevy, Toyota all make truck based hybrids and larger cars but at the expense of mpg.

I suppose these people, concerned with safety, will avoid buying the non hybrid Civics, Camrys, Altimas, Escapes, Highlanders for this reason as well?

Until a real solution comes to market in an affordable price/comparison, people will continue to see hybrids as a knee jerk reaction from the Japanese.. (Toyota/Honda) Tougher laws pass down by Congress will ensure this will happen. Manufacture are now called to task to make engines more fuel efficient and the law gets tougher over time.

Umm, for many a new or used Hybrid, providing great FE, is a real solution. I for one, am happy that someone "reacted" to the need for good FE in the US market. I suppose if the Big three had brought out hybrids in 2000, or even smaller, lighter 50mpg non hybrids then they might have been in the markets catbird seat...

Last edited by spartybrutus; 01-19-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by arbittan

- comfort, people want to drive what "they" deem comfortable...

- cost...Until the cost of hybrids come down to the same price of regular gas run version, people will have this dilemma to choose.

Until a real solution comes to market in an affordable price/comparison, people will continue to see hybrids as a knee jerk reaction from the Japanese.. (Toyota/Honda) ...
It seems as though you just really aren't very happy with your hybrid. Poor mileage, overall dissatisfaction with performance, what led you to purchase an HCH initially, and why do you still have it? My ownership experience has been an overall positive one, with some hiccups (like my 32 mpg average today with 4 deg. temps). Hybrids aren't for everyone, and those who can't or won't modify their driving habits may need to turn to diesels as they become available over the next few years.

And as for the original post, what does the average person expect from Detroit, the land of the (not so) big 3 and Unemployed Auto Workers bumper stickers?

Old 01-19-2008, 03:50 PM

I don't have to speak about what people want. It is apparent what they want everyday when I am on the road with them...

MD driver's manual states that you are to speed up when entering a highway and slow down when you are exiting the highway.

Actually one thing "affluent people" have in common is more money on hand than "less affluent people" do. Yes, different car makes/models may have different costs (LX vs EX too...). I suppose the dilemma for many is if the improved FE with the Hybrid offsets the higher ($2k...) price.

Huh? I am sorry, but most people see a $5000.00 price difference, it will sway their decision. But then I am also a person who will not go out and buy a $2000.00 Sony LCD when there is an equivalent $600.00 Westinghouse LCD on the market....

I suppose these people, concerned with safety, will avoid buying the non hybrid Civics, Camrys, Altimas, Escapes, Highlanders for this reason as well?

Again, Huh?? You again misread my statement. People have been use to seeing Priuses and relate that car as a hybrid. Even though manufactures like GM, Ford and Toyota make larger SUV/Car Hybrids... I didn't say the Truck/Car hybrids are unsafe....

Umm, for many a new or used Hybrid, providing great FE, is a real solution. I for one, am happy that someone "reacted" to the need for good FE in the US market. I suppose if the Big three had brought out hybrids in 2000, or even smaller, lighter 50mpg non hybrids then they might have been in the markets catbird seat...

FE might work for your justification but for others it may not. It is not our job to force someone to buy something that may not work for them.

@ medicmike It seems as though you just really aren't very happy with your hybrid. Poor mileage, overall dissatisfaction with performance, what led you to purchase an HCH initially, and why do you still have it? My ownership experience has been an overall positive one, with some hiccups (like my 32 mpg average today with 4 deg. temps). Hybrids aren't for everyone, and those who can't or won't modify their driving habits may need to turn to diesels as they become available over the next few years.

What makes you think I am not happy with my Hybrid? It gets me from point A to point B. No I have not overinflated my tires to get a .000xx% better mileage, nor have I disabled everything in my car so it won't draw 12v power. I do however, use Pulse and Glide where it is safe to do so. I know my car is not a V8 with 1000hp, I didn't buy it with that intention. And I also understand that there are people here on this forum that live in really flat areas so their mileage is much higher. It is a little disappointing not getting at least 450 miles out of a tank like it should. I have been shy about 80 miles on most tanks.

My point is, why act so surprised that hybrids were not the star of the show at Detroit? Every car/truck has its purpose, we cannot stop people from purchasing a large truck just to haul groceries. Wishing for higher gas prices won't either. Higher gas prices will push this country into a recession which we really don't want.

One thing I did see over and over on this site is that the tires used on the hybrid is really not good in bad weather. I know I must have lucked out because my tires have been good in the snow and rain. But then I drive slower in bad weather by default so skidding and slide never happens in any of my cars...

Last edited by arbittan; 01-19-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Part Time Hybrids

What people WANT and what people SHOULD want are two different beasts.

What people should want is cars that help decrease US energy dependence and run off renewable or cleaner fuels.

What people want is cars that weigh at least 4000+ lbs, can seat 5 with full leather, sexy swedish voice navi, homelink, and the ability to roar past anything else on the road. And of course then every 5 years you have to update the car with more power so it can roar past the current generations of cars. If you include hybrid or some alternative fuel source it has to compare with the normal gas using cars.

So the circle keeps going. Certain people even while driving these better cars complain and complain because they want the hybrid, but want it to drive and act just like their former V6-V12 guzzler.

Like I've said..... swift kick in the rear.... many americans could use one....

Personally as much as a do not favor government interference I'd love to see a national law limiting the acceleration of all cars and trucks sold in the US. 12 Seconds minimum sound good?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

I personally am not surprised that the hybrids did not overwhelm the Detroit auto show. For one, Detroit is home to the big 3, not the Honda & Toyota that are the main hybrid manufacturers.

Most people still want bigger and faster cars, partly because of a perceived safety that comes with it. Some of it is that we like going fast (really, it's a rush and I used to do it a lot). We like excitement and to a lot of people, that's what speed is, excitement.

On a side note, I read an article where Gee-Dubya stated that OPEC needs to increase their output, partly to prevent America from going into a recession.

To which, I question why they need to? We must really live in a society where we just expect the other countries (most of which are not overly fond of America right now) to cater to our wants and demands. Was the government so blind to the fact that GLOBAL demand, not US demand, was growing at a rapid pace for the past 5 years? Why did we wait so long to try to change our ways, when we just expect the other nations to change theirs for us? The information has been out there for years, and we know what oil there is to pump from the earth currently. WE had the ability years ago to begin to make a difference, but as a country, it was not economical then to do it, so we will wait until it is. At that point, it's usually too late.

None of the above was meant to be taken as my talking bad about the country, the president, or anyone for that matter. It's just some of the thoughts and questions that come to my mind, by looking at things from a global perspective. I dislike high oil prices as much as the next person, and it hurts my standard of living just as much as well. However, those of us that are here, driving our hybrids, trying to make a difference in the oil world, are just that much ahead of the rest of the people, and will probably stay ahead of them. The person with the big escalade that costs $100 to fill every week, will gripe & moan about it everytime, but dare not get rid of the vehicle.

I personally want to be as energy independant as possible. I am willing to make the initial capital expenditures NOW to save myself in the long run. In time, those that are pro-active and not re-active will be the ones in the better position 5, 10, 15 years down the road when it needs to be done.

Sorry for the long post, and hopefully no one gets upset by anything that I said in it. A lot of that is my thoughts & opinions, and there's an old saying about opinions....

Old 01-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Energy Independence

Absolutely, Matt

Old 01-20-2008, 10:22 AM
HypoFueler

Arbittan,

Sorry for the confusion - I did not misread your statements. I just disagreed with many of them.

Having lived, gone to school and driven among Detroiters for the last 20 years as well as worked with all of the Big 3 directly and their suppliers, I feel I have some insight as to how and why 100 Detroit News readers would vote at their hometown auto show.

Heck even some of my inlaws (working for the Big 3) have to toe the line by (1) owning and parking a company brand vehicle in their work lot and (2) being given company paid subscriptions to Consumer magazines with the understanding that they will give their company brand vehicles high marks in the annual surveys. So, no, I am not surprised at all.

I don’t think any hybrid makers need our advice on hybrid cost/premiums. They seem to be selling briskly and at a growing rate. I expect that many more that see vehicle fuel costs climbing up their monthly budget, will consider hybrids (or other high FE vehicles) in the coming year.

Regards,
SpartyBrutus

Ps. Properly inflated tires can return significant FE improvements as can slower highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Motown No Town for Hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands