HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My 2008 HCH Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: My 2008 HCH Mileage

Thanks for the great links, cwerdna. I think the factors of winter driving (temp, wind), combined with the more realistic CR mileage tests, explain most of my situation.

And the oil, of course. More on that in a day or so...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Hyper-Everything'er

The colder weather certainly does hurt. I use a combination of VERY slow acceleration, never increasing speed while going up-hill and driving with my cruise control on flat, straight portions of road to maximize MPG. I also have blocked off my grill and installed a block heater, which I use if the morning temperature is going to be below 70*. So far I've been very pleased with a 51mpg overall average and many 60mpg+ one-way commutes (40 miles each way). Now that the weather is high 50's to mid 60's almost all day long I am seeing very positive MPG gains.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Enthusiast

I also live Near San Diego. i live in Santee, Next to Mission George. i live in tow know for hills. and i have been doing a lot of repair on my 2007 Civic Hybrid. i just recently Rebuilt my Cylinder Head. and going to replace the Original Rear and Front Camber Arm and Bolts, to adjustable ONES. so I'm able to do wheel alignment.

If you need any work on your car. let me know..

and yes. USE 0W-20 that 5W-20 will make lots of different. Trust me. i just did a test on that. I'm currently on 5W-20 and i get a lot less MPG..

Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MLTTASK
The colder weather certainly does hurt. I use a combination of VERY slow acceleration, never increasing speed while going up-hill and driving with my cruise control on flat, straight portions of road to maximize MPG. I also have blocked off my grill and installed a block heater, which I use if the morning temperature is going to be below 70*. So far I've been very pleased with a 51mpg overall average and many 60mpg+ one-way commutes (40 miles each way). Now that the weather is high 50's to mid 60's almost all day long I am seeing very positive MPG gains.

a BLOCK heater?

The Grill, you block it OFF?. i assume you put something behind it to not allow the wind to pass into the engine?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longstand
a BLOCK heater?

The Grill, you block it OFF?. i assume you put something behind it to not allow the wind to pass into the engine?

Yep. see the pics here. works for me.

ks

Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 AM
Hyper-Everything'er

Originally Posted by longstand
a BLOCK heater?

Yeah, the block heater was more of an expensive experiment. It works great, but doesn't add any more than a very few MPG to my mileage. I'd never pay for the price of the heater with the improved economy. It does, however, improve my comfort as now I have heat within a minute or two on cold mornings, and cold weather is much easier on that little motor.

And yes, just like KevinsTop's link shows, I've completely blocked off the lower grill with pipe insulation just like this:

Last edited by MLTTASK; 03-24-2011 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Corrected grammar
Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

I live in San Diego, Ca, its always, well, its usually warm temperature. will i see any improvements at all?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Enthusiast

No matter what in the world i do i simply cannot get to add a tank at all!
I am quickly becoming extremely frustrated with the fact that i cannot add any tanks to my average! What in the world is wrong with your site that i cannot perform a simple task like add a tank? Again i am extremely frustrated over this situation? Why can't you get whatever bug it is from your system?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

Once again here i sit with no way to add any tanks to my average? Why in the world does your site put up with this nonsense? Please explain to me in detail why i cannot add a tank of fuel to my account? I am extremely frustrated over the fact that your site will not allow me to add any tanks to my average? I need an explanation, please! Is anyone actually reading these posts? I need an answer asap? PLEASE PLEASE WILL SOMEONE READ THESE **** POSTS SO I CAN GET SOME ANSWERS?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Hyper-Everything'er

the "add a tank" link doesn't work for me either. I have to go to my garage and add the tank to my vehicle in there.

Quick Reply: My 2008 HCH Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands