HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My Block Heater Is Cold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default My Block Heater Is Cold?

Has anyone had this happen?
I left my B.H. plugged in for several (overnight) hours and, just out of curiousity, checked it this morning. It was cold to the touch, no warmth at all. I know it won''t be blazing hot, but I at least figured it wold be warm. Judging an improvement in mpgs is hard b/c I also blocked my grill at the same time I installed the BH. Is this normal, or should I try to swap the cord or something?

Thank You!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My Block Heater Is Cold?

The only way to really be sure is to hook up a ScanGuage and look at the coolant temperature. Before I got my SG, my temperature gauge would only show a single block even after it had been plugged in all night. When I saw this I was wondering if my block heater was working. However, with a single temperature block showing on the temp gauge, the coolant temperature was still 85 degrees F. I don't believe the Hybrid's in-dash gauge will show more than one temperature "block" until coolant temperature is greater than 100 degrees F.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Mike, if you have a multimeter (you should get one if you don't) measure the resistance across the pins of your block heater plug. If you get 34-35 Ohms then you should be OK. If you get too much resistance or anything looking like a short then , yes, replace that cord.

Assuming that the resistance is good, you should also see if there's power in the outlet. Some parking lots provide only partial (half wave) or timed power. If so that may help explain things a little.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 03-08-2008, 07:41 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Wink Re: My Block Heater Is Cold?

A few comments. I plug my car in at work. I suspected that I did not have a good connection based on the miles it took to warm up. I took a nightlight with me to work - so I could do a quick check. I find that the car usually is up to temp (9 blocks), by 1.5 miles. Without the block heater I could go 4-5 miles depending on the outside temp. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donald
A few comments. I plug my car in at work. I suspected that I did not have a good connection based on the miles it took to warm up. I took a nightlight with me to work - so I could do a quick check. I find that the car usually is up to temp (9 blocks), by 1.5 miles. Without the block heater I could go 4-5 miles depending on the outside temp. Good luck.
My HCH II seems to take longer than 1.5 miles to warm up, but I obviously don't hammer it too hard when it's cold. THe night light idea is pretty good, I think I'll check my outlet at work.

MSantos, I don't have a scanguage yet but I know where I can borrow one at least, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks!!