HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My dealer updated my PCM Software

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Nerd
Default My dealer updated my PCM Software

While getting the oil changed on the 15th (my 3rd change @23,177 miles), I was told that there was a software update for the PCM and that it "might" improve fuel economy. Both tanks since then have got over 51 MPG while none of the first 47 tanks did. It's too soon to be sure, but there is cause for optimism.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My dealer updated my PCM Software

Any cost for installation? How long did it take?

Old 09-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What does PCM stand for?

Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: My dealer updated my PCM Software

I'm also in the dark about PCM - power control module?, primary computer module?. I checked the glossary on this site and also did a search - nothing. Please illuminate us. Perhaps more of us need this software update to get better mileage.

Thanks,

Old 09-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

PCM = Powertrain Control Module.

Guicide... is there a bulletin number or labor operation number written on your repair order? If there's something there, perhaps you could post it? That might help other HCHII owners when we ask our dealers about the update. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Nerd

There was no charge. Nothing appears on the bill. I had an oil change and tire rotation as well so I do not know how long the upgrade took.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: My dealer updated my PCM Software

Guicide,

According to your FE logs, you were hitting 51mpg before you had the PCM update.

Just about the same time you had your oil change, I requested my dealer to update the firmware, only to get flatly rejected.

Sigh,
Ronald

Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

I took mine in yesterday for the IMA cap recall and the dealer updated my PCM. Has anyone else had there PCM updated and have you noticed any changes.

Anthony

Old 07-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast

I also had the oil changed, recall cap installed and software updated two weeks ago. I have noticed it is easier to get into and stay in electric-only mode for gliding. Fuel economy is up a few mpg.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Aspiring Hypermiler

I had my PCM flashed on my HCH II during the A1 service this week at 22,000 miles. I have driven about 60 miles since the oil change and PCM flash.

I have noticed a number of performance improvements to the operation of the IMA, CVT, Autostart systems. To say that I am thrilled with these improvements is an understatement!

The CVT is smoother than ever since the PCM flash, and this is especially noticeable when driving at low speeds in stop and go traffic. There was noticeable lugging before the update at low speeds, but now the CVT operates as smoothly and seamlessly as possible at all speeds.

You can no longer tell that Autostop is occuring by the seat of your pants. Only a peek at the tach tells what the Autostop is doing. Now this system works the way it should have from day 1. Gone is the sensation of surges and sudden kicks from Autostop operation - as though a beginner was popping the clutch on a manual transmission.

Now the best part from this PCM update. So far, after driving about 60 mile since the update, my fuel consumption rate has improved by at least 20%! I averaged about 46 MPG over the last 2 years of ownership. The highest recorded tank avaerage was about 51 MPG. Well in the last 2 days and 60 road miles since the PCM update, my dash meter shows about 55 MPG. Granted it is too soon to tell if this boost in fuel efficiency will be sustained, but this is cause for optimism!

I will report back on this after I record a few more miles and refills. By then I hope I can say conclusively that my HCH II is now +/- 20% more efficient.

Quick Reply: My dealer updated my PCM Software

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands