HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

MY DIY HID headlight install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MY DIY HID headlight install

I haven't done the projector beams retrofit, but IMO the HCHII has very good reflectors and should work just fine for you with the HID kit. I would say that the projector retrofits would not be worth the cost involved with them. Just adjust the angle of the reflectors and you'll work out OK. I had to adjust mine with my HIDs and now I see much better and have yet to be "flashed" at by an oncoming vehicle.

My thanks to those which provided me with the pictures and help of locating and adjusting the reflector height!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wick1ert
I haven't done the projector beams retrofit, but IMO the HCHII has very good reflectors and should work just fine for you with the HID kit. I would say that the projector retrofits would not be worth the cost involved with them. Just adjust the angle of the reflectors and you'll work out OK. I had to adjust mine with my HIDs and now I see much better and have yet to be "flashed" at by an oncoming vehicle.

My thanks to those which provided me with the pictures and help of locating and adjusting the reflector height!
Thanks for the help guys! So, did you have to bump yours down a little bit to cut out the glare? The kit I'm looking at has reflectors also built into the bulbs to reduce the upward reflecting light.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I actually had to bump mine up a tad. They angled way too downward. I've noticed that every HID kit that I've purchased, the bulbs themselves tend to be angled downward on their own, thus making the downward angle of the reflector even greater. Maybe it's just my bad luck, but atleast the reflector can be adjusted to compensate some for this. Still no "flashes" since the adjustment though. It did take me a couple of adjustments to get them how I liked them. I actually need to adjust the passenger one down about 1/4 turn still to get it where I want it.

Let us know what you do, and how it turns out. You'll definitely be happier with the better light on the road!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

I made the mistake of ordering 8000K lights. They are very blue. I'm going to change them to 6000K when it's in the budget to change the bulbs. I don't recommend anything over 6000K for normal driving.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ah yes, I had either 8000K or 9000K ones in my 03 regular civic. They had a purplish color to them. I would agree, that 6000k are the highest I would go for these bulbs. The higher the number, the lower the light output as well. I believe I have the 6000k in my HCH and am quite happy with their output now. Definitely a recommend upgrade for any car as far as I'm concerned!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gary (original author of this outstanding "How to" HID your HCH II):

I extracted the following from your very first page of this thread....,

There are many aftermarket HID products available on the web, with many in the $400-600 price range. There are also several east-asia vendors out there that have similar products in the $100-$200 price range. We decided to try a Chinese vendor named Kassabian9898 Car China that has a HID kit for $156.00 including shipping. They sell their product through ebay, and have a 99.5% positive feedback rating. The product is made in the Guangdong Province of China, which is a hotbed of electronics manufacturing for export. Many US brands have their electronics manufactured in this province and some real high-quality stuff comes from this area, so I figured it was worth a try.
The link goes to a very confusing (for me) page on e-bay. Could you check that link out and recommend to me the unit you would use (from that link today) please?

Much thanks for your excellent research

Soon to be HID....

Mike

Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

These will work fine

Specify that you want 9006 bulbs with a color temperature of either 4300K (white) or (6000K) slightly blueish.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
These will work fine

Specify that you want 9006 bulbs with a color temperature of either 4300K (white) or (6000K) slightly blueish.
Thanks, looks good.

I'll post results when the project is done.

Cheers

Mike

Old 11-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Gary

One last technical question:

There are not a lot of mounting places in the right wheel well, as it is pretty compact in there, but there is a bolt thread that can be used to used to mount the igniter/ballast with a 10mm nut.

The 10 mm nut you describe. Course thread? Fine thread? Or do the metric nuts only come in one type of thread?

Thanks

Mike

Old 11-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I really never noticed what the thread pitch was, I just got one out of my bench stock that fit. Honda has a universal bolt and nut standard, so just pull one off of something in the car, go to the hardware store (or to you honda parts counter) and say, "Give me some of these".

Quick Reply: MY DIY HID headlight install

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands