Need IMA battery testing diagram - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need IMA battery testing diagram

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 11-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Default Need IMA battery testing diagram

Hey everyone!

Ill be quick and to the point.

Car history:
*Gifted this car, mechanic said the IMA battery was toast.
*Assist, charge, and battery gauges all had 0 bars.
*12v system is not charging
*This was an abrupt shutoff. The PO got into the car, and it started with the 12v starter, and the IMA was not working at all... No sounds or oddness. Drove great to work, then leaving work it was like this.
*After looking at forum posts decided to check the 100a fuse located in junction box and found the issue was the fuse!
*No continuity between the 2 blades on the fuse.

I would like to test the battery if I can, however there is a lack of diagrams and information of testing this battery... All I have found is "bcm connector points" or "11 points to test" however, I do not know wtf anyone is talking about. There are no numbers anywhere except a 1 and a 2 at certain ponts.
The battery is removed, and the Jbox is removed from the battery, do I need to remove the next part to test the battery points?
Does anyone know where to buy that 100a 450v fuse that is located on the back side of the Jbox? Assuming Honda dealer is the best option?
Is there something in line that would cause the fuse to blow in the first place? Something that would blow a 100a fuse seems pretty hectic.
I am really just needing a diagram to see how to test the battery cells to see if they are within range? I have tested a few spots and all are 15.60, 15.59, 15.58. but idk where these "11 spots to test" are, and what I am looking for.
I am sure this info is here on the forum, however I have not been able to find it.
Thanks guys


I am pointing to the location of the fuse...

The culprit
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Default Re: Need IMA battery testing diagram

I can't help you with a diagram, however, if you switch off the IMA using the switch underneath the rear-seat cushions at the back, the 12v battery should start to charge OK as the car will use the IMA motor with the DC-DC converter as an alternator at cruising speeds to charge it up. You should at least then have a usable car in "IMA off mode" until you figure it out.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Default Re: Need IMA battery testing diagram

Thx for the reply...

Switching the switch won't help anything... The fuse on the battery, that regulates the positive side of the battery, is blown. So NO POWER is coming from the battery... I doubt that will work. But thank you.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Default Re: Need IMA battery testing diagram

Originally Posted by Poonugget View Post
Thx for the reply...

Switching the switch won't help anything... The fuse on the battery, that regulates the positive side of the battery, is blown. So NO POWER is coming from the battery... I doubt that will work. But thank you.
The switch is more like an IMA "bypass" switch than on/off, this switch triggers a different behavior in the car's computer than having a dead IMA battery connected, even though in both cases there is no IMA voltage. This is one of the advantages of the HCH2, in the HCH1 it was a lot of work to bypass the battery, but in HCH2, it's just a flick of the switch.

In this mode, your 12v battery will charge when the engine is running over 1500rpm.

If it doesn't work for you I'd like to know and I'll stop giving out this advice!
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Default Re: Need IMA battery testing diagram

Ok, I'll try it. However, isn't the 12v system charged with the IMA battery? In that case, how does it charge the 12v without the 144v from the I'ma battery?
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Default Re: Need IMA battery testing diagram

Originally Posted by Poonugget View Post
Ok, I'll try it. However, isn't the 12v system charged with the IMA battery? In that case, how does it charge the 12v without the 144v from the I'ma battery?
From what I understand, when it's bypassed, the IMA system just routes power from the IMA motor (which acts as a generator in this case) through the DC-DC converter, into the 12v battery. There's a thread with more information about it here: https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...tml#post257008
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2018, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Default Re: Need IMA battery testing diagram

Ok, I reassembled everything the way it was, and the switch is OFF. nada. No 12v charging at all. I called bumblebee batteries, they were able to order the fuse for me, and I spoke to a technician. The HCH2 has NO BYPASS that doesn't require loads of modding. Flipping a switch won't make the 12v system charge on the hch2s... The insight can be switched off and it will charge the 12v, but, not the HCH2.
ill have more info about the FIX in a few days when I get the new fuse from bumblebee batteries! Ryan at bumblebee batteries was awesome and helpful... Very rare when it comes to these cars... Nobody knows wtf they are talking about nor are they willing to tell you any info they do know... Ridiculous. Ryan was a G, and he helped me out 100%. Let's see if this fuse makes this pile of crap work properly.!!!
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 31
Default Re: Need IMA battery testing diagram

Originally Posted by Poonugget View Post
Ok, I reassembled everything the way it was, and the switch is OFF. nada. No 12v charging at all. I called bumblebee batteries, they were able to order the fuse for me, and I spoke to a technician. The HCH2 has NO BYPASS that doesn't require loads of modding. Flipping a switch won't make the 12v system charge on the hch2s... The insight can be switched off and it will charge the 12v, but, not the HCH2.
ill have more info about the FIX in a few days when I get the new fuse from bumblebee batteries! Ryan at bumblebee batteries was awesome and helpful... Very rare when it comes to these cars... Nobody knows wtf they are talking about nor are they willing to tell you any info they do know... Ridiculous. Ryan was a G, and he helped me out 100%. Let's see if this fuse makes this pile of crap work properly.!!!
Very interesting - thank you for sharing your experience. I will update my info! Also glad youíre on the way to getting it resolved, sounds like Bumblebee really went out of their way there to help you out - good to know that they are available
to help owners like that, Iíll keep that in mind in future as well!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Topic Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rebmo
Toyota Camry Hybrid
8
06-29-2014 07:14 PM
RayP
Ford Escape Hybrid
21
08-17-2013 06:16 AM
todd911
Nissan Altima Hybrid/Infiniti M35h/ Q50 hybrid
0
10-06-2009 03:04 PM
bwilson4web
Toyota Camry Hybrid
8
08-20-2006 02:16 AM
raypou
Honda Civic Hybrid
6
06-23-2005 10:00 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need IMA battery testing diagram


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.