HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

new epa mpg estimates?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default new epa mpg estimates?

I was looking at the new '08 HCH II's on yahoo autos and saw that the epa estimates dropped to 40/45 from 46/51 .. toyota's prius also dropped similarly from 60/51 to 48/45...
the link can be navigated here http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings2008.shtml

i wonder if this'll cause less people like this...
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-claims-14325/

i think in the least, it will reduce complaints that the car companies get - but will it reduce sales of hybrid vehicles? I hope not, but if i was an unaware or uneducated consumer on hybrid vehicles (which many are, unfortunately - though that is trending downward as hybrid vehicles become more and more mainstream) this new epa mileage estimate would seriously deter me in looking into hybrid vehicles. I'm going to be interested in watching the sales of hybrid cars in the coming months.....

Old 10-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: new epa mpg estimates?

Originally Posted by hybriding
but if i was an unaware or uneducated consumer on hybrid vehicles this new epa mileage estimate would seriously deter me in looking into hybrid vehicles.
The new estimates are based on a new calculation. Since this applies to all vehicles, estimates for all vehicles will go down. So hybrid estimates will still be proportionally better on mileage than regular vehicle estimates, just like always.

As long as prospective buyers are comparing estimates on all new vehicles, there shouldn't be any confusion. Although, there might be some confusion for the next few months as the "old estimate" 07s are sitting on the lot with the "new estimate" 08s. But hopefully, sales people are able to explain what's going on.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow
So if you average the EPA City and Hwy numbers the old average was 48.5 MPG and the new average is 42.5 MPG.

That means my 64.4 MPG lifetime average is 33% better than the old EPA, but is 52% better than the new EPA.

Cool!

Last edited by kenny; 10-20-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM

It's just numbers.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: new epa mpg estimates vs real world

My wife has a lifetime average of about 40 mpg on her daily commute, and on trips to LA we average about 51. Looks like the new EPA is much closer to real world.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: new epa mpg estimates vs real world

Originally Posted by Orient Express
My wife has a lifetime average of about 40 mpg on her daily commute, and on trips to LA we average about 51. Looks like the new EPA is much closer to real world.
Its not so much the real world, more the majority. If you look at the GreenHybrid chart, its 46.5 MPG which is much better than the average new EPA estimates.

But then again... I'm all for the new EPA estimates as long as they makes American cars get better mileage by trying to maintain the standards, does anyone actually know if the standards were changed by the new estimates? or did they stay the same so cars need to get better gas mileage?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

It is doubtful that the crew that hangs out in this board represents the majority, it is probably more like an aberration.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM

I agree OE. People on this site, let alone the ones who are obsessed enough to document their mpg, are more likely to work harder to get better mpg.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:08 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Some may be obsessed on mpg, I'm just "highly conscious" I hate to say that I'm pissed right now because I'm only getting 48mpg this tank. I get stressed when the display shows less than 50mpg after having my last 11 tanks between 51mpg and 55mpg. Colder mornings (40-50 deg F) are making warm-ups take longer (3 miles instead of 1 mile). I make up some of the mpg loss in the afternoon when it's warmer on the way home, but it's just not enough. Thankfully conditions don't get lower than the 40's around here. I don't know if a block heater would be as beneficial and cost effective as living in sub-30F temps.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just talking about mpg and conditions. I don't think the new mpg ratings (40/45) won't affect too many people's decision, but will affect how they react when they get in the low 40's with their "usual" driving style.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

AJR,
I just experienced for the first time that Hybrids don't make good warm up vehicles.....

We had our first frost of the season and I started my car to warm up. I was surprise to see it only climbed 4 bars nowhere near the middle....

That could really be a hinderance if I decide if this Civic will be a keeper car or a seller.

As to the mileage issue. I have only been able to see 40.1 for 1 minute on my car. It usually stays around 33-37.

I for one am glad they dropped the rating. But again, all of my regular gas based cars did the stated or better.

This is my first car that hasn't been near the mark..

Quick Reply: new epa mpg estimates?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands