Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   New ScanGauge in the mail: ideas for set-up wanted (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/new-scangauge-mail-ideas-set-up-wanted-27532/)

navguy12 01-09-2012 03:32 PM

New ScanGauge in the mail: ideas for set-up wanted

I finally ordered a Scangauge. Should be in the mail in two days.

I've read the manual (PDF) and have some questions:

Where do folks mount the unit in the HCH II?

Advanced setup options:
  • Set the fuel cutoff level; is the default "24" ok to use?
  • Digital gauges; what is the consensus on the most logical four to use?
    • I seem to want to know when my car is warmed up for proper operation, so things like:
      • CLSD/OPEN LP,
      • FWT/CWT,
      • TFT (if able).
Opinions most welcome.

Cheers

Mike

Harold 01-09-2012 03:56 PM

Re: New ScanGauge in the mail: ideas for set-up wanted

Hi Mike:
I mounted mine Directly in front of me at the start of the dash. In line with the main instruments.It comes with valcro for mounting. I had to really look for the female end to plug it in. It comes with good instructions on setting it up. I monitor LOD, Ignition, Water Temp. MPG. With the HCH it is good to keep lod below 50 and ign. over 30deg. Mine will go up to 38 deg. Great mpg here. H

reagle 01-09-2012 05:43 PM

Recently I've been monitoring: Water temp, 12V battery voltage, MPH and GPM, but that was mostly to diagnose my 12V battery problems

Harold 01-09-2012 07:18 PM

Yes I still have the original 12v, so I check this on occasion. I also check my 12v weekly with a volt meter after sitting over night. I like to see 12.4 at least. H

navguy12 01-09-2012 07:21 PM

Harold/reagle: thanks.

I mounted mine Directly in front of me at the start of the dash. In line with the main instruments.
Harold, could you show a picture of your mounting set-up please?

I monitor LOD, Ignition, Water Temp. MPG. With the HCH it is good to keep lod below 50 and ign. over 30deg.
Engine loading/ignition timing, OK. I assume like me you never have the car's temp gauge up, its always the instantaneous fuel economy, so I see why the water temp.....why MPG though? Is it because resolution better than L/100 km's?

Great mpg here.
With me applying every trick in the book, I'm doing about 4.9L/100 km in town and secondary rural roads. But I have to tell you my battery just has no depth of charge to it any more. I accelerate so as to get my 3 bars of assist and keep the acceleration consumption rate at 12L/100 kms or less (the worst the instantaneous read-out shows)....

12V battery voltage
reagle, that is a great idea. I often follow threads where people are having issues and it is traced to the 12 volt battery.....

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Harold 01-10-2012 09:07 AM

I could ,but I don't understand how to send to the site. PM me your e-mail and I can do that. H

Harold 01-10-2012 09:11 AM

The forth read out I use for what ever basically. I also like to use the trip function when on trips. Keeps track of fuel used and total cost for trip. H

reagle 01-10-2012 12:35 PM

I noticed my LOD is above 70 and IGN below 15 most of the time these days. Takes a lot of effort to even try to get to <50 and >30 on those lately, especially after the software updates

navguy12 01-10-2012 01:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)

I could ,but I don't understand how to send to the site. PM me your e-mail and I can do that. H
Thanks. PM sent. To send a photo to the site:
  • select the little paper-clip icon just above where you are typing a reply
  • the "Manage Attachments" dialog box appears
  • out of two possible upload techniques, activate the "Browse" button within the "Upload File from your Computer"
  • a second "File Upload" box will/should become active showing your personal computer files available
  • using the string at the top of this active box to find (your) computer. You should see a list (if that is how you view files).
  • find the actual file and then actual photo that is somewhere on your computer
  • select/highlight the actual photo wanted
  • then at the bottom right of the current box, select the "Open" option
  • go back to the "Manage Attachments" dialog box and note your file path for the selected photo is now inserted. Select "Upload" just to the right of your file string
  • Another option now appears: "Current Attachments"; "Remove". Do nothing. Your file is now attached. Finish typing your draft answer and then select "preview post" in the center just below where you are typing your reply.....your picture should be in the answer you are about to post.....

Pictured is my possible mounting unit position. The Velcro tape that comes with the tool will be applied to the face of the mounting unit. I have drilled a hole thru the removable panel directly under the HVAC controls to feed the wire from the OBD II connector to the unit in a hidden fashion (just like the wires for the satellite radio head are all hidden)....

I noticed my LOD is above 70 and IGN below 15 most of the time these days. Takes a lot of effort to even try to get to <50 and >30 on those lately, especially after the software updates
If the <50 and >30 numbers (engine load/ignition timing) are difficult to achieve, is it the new software itself, or a weak battery?

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Harold 01-10-2012 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1821 Here goes. Hope it works Mike:D

Attachment 1822