HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Newbie here: Questions in buying a new HCH II

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Newbie here: Questions in buying a new HCH II

sorry if i got some of you upset for posting in the wrong forum? But this is the HCH forum, right? lol...still sorry if I'm posting it in the wrong forum

anyways, I was really settled on the accord coupe 08, but with the gas price reaching 4.15 reg, here in nyc, i decided to get a hybrid. The civic hybrid is the only car that appeals to me around my price range, although I do like the altima hybrid, the 35 mpg is not appealing to me (might as well get the accord coupe rite?). But yea, I am actually planning to get the HCH, even though I have been driving my brother's civic for about 3 years (got kinda boring), I still want the civic hybrid for its 40+ mpg.
- Can anyone tell me the difference between the prius and the HCH II? I did some research on the prius and someone said it saves more gas in local, am i correct? I do not like the styling of the prius, but if theres a huge difference in saving gas, I might have to just cop the prius.
- Are hybrid cars hard/expensive to fix when it goes through an accident? Afterall, its basically made entirely of computers. Will it cost much more than to fix a non-hybrid car?
- How's the mpg with your hybrid?
- I got quotes from several dealers, but the one that stands out is e-price of $20,860 (not including tax). Can I get it for lower? Is this a good deal? How much did you get your HCH II for?
- Does it matter if I buy the car at the end of the month or during August? Just wondering cause I'm planning to purchase the car around August as my friends have told me dealerships will lower the price significantly. So, are the prices that much of a difference when buying at the end of the month where salesman have to reach their quotas, than buying the car around August?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2008, 07:32 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Default Re: Newbie here: Questions in buying a new HCH II

good questions. looks like you are doing a lot of research.

both the civic and prius have their good points, and both can get you excellent mileage. the prius often does better around town, and the HCH the highway, however, a prius was recently driven from chicago to NYC on one tank of gas, and reported about 70MPG, so that's not too shabby for highway driving.

both have great longevity and dependability. hondas seem to run forever (i am on my 4th), and one of the longest running prius, with almost 350,000 on the odometer, recently met an untimely demise in a crash. the owner had hoped to keep it longer, and never had a problem with batteries, which is a rumor that frequently circulates.

i think what you WILL find right now, with gas prices so high, is that if you can find one you want, you should but it. i seriously doubt there will be discounts any more. at a recent hybrid club meeting here in minnesota, the toyota dealer said they are 3 months out on new deliveries, and it could become an even longer wait...........

Old 05-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jehims
sorry if i got some of you upset for posting in the wrong forum? But this is the HCH forum, right? lol...still sorry if I'm posting it in the wrong forum

Your sig only shows one post, I can't see why anyone would get upset, maybe they were just trying to get you to the right spot.

anyways, I was really settled on the accord coupe 08, but with the gas price reaching 4.15 reg, here in nyc, I decided to get a hybrid. The civic hybrid is the only car that appeals to me around my price range, although I do like the altima hybrid, the 35 mpg is not appealing to me (might as well get the accord coupe rite?). But yea, I am actually planning to get the HCH, even though I have been driving my brother's civic for about 3 years (got kinda boring), I still want the civic hybrid for its 40+ mpg.

The HCH is NOT a sports car or an excitement machine unless you get excited about saving gas

- Can anyone tell me the difference between the prius and the HCH II? I did some research on the prius and someone said it saves more gas in local, am i correct? I do not like the styling of the prius, but if theres a huge difference in saving gas, I might have to just cop the prius.

They are different, I don't know all the tech stuff Atkinson vs otto or some such....I drove a Prius about 1,000 miles for work... I did not like it, I found it had less leg & headroom in the front seat and that the controls were too "Buck Rogers" for me not to mention flipping through 3-5 screens just to change the audio or a/c settings....the HCH is very, very much like a regular Civic therefore more like a regular car.
That said, the Civic will get a bit less mileage in the city than the Prius, becuase the Prius will creep in the electric mode, the HCH will take a hit on stop & go creep.
You have to decide which car you like and if it is worth buying a car you have already said you did not care for to save a few MPG...either car will get better mileage than a gas only.

- Are hybrid cars hard/expensive to fix when it goes through an accident? Afterall, its basically made entirely of computers. Will it cost much more than to fix a non-hybrid car?

Depends on the type of accident, the batteries are pretty well protected, of course the engine is as exposed as any car. I would suspect that any accident severe enough to damage the engine would total the car hybrid or gas only, otherwise, there is probably no difference. Some insurance companies give a little discount for hybrids, some charge a little more, still kinda of new and scary teritory for the bean counter types.

- How's the mpg with your hybrid?

My overall is in my sig, I do 95% city driving, it gets cold here and it gets pretty hot....You can look at the data base and get an idea of the mean mileage, I think it is about 46 for the HCH II & about 47 for the Prius.

- I got quotes from several dealers, but the one that stands out is e-price of $20,860 (not including tax). Can I get it for lower? Is this a good deal? How much did you get your HCH II for?

Sounds good too me, I suspect that the deals will diminish at about the same rate gas goes up, but I don't have a crystal ball.

- Does it matter if I buy the car at the end of the month or during August? Just wondering cause I'm planning to purchase the car around August as my friends have told me dealerships will lower the price significantly. So, are the prices that much of a difference when buying at the end of the month where salesman have to reach their quotas, than buying the car around August?

Like I said above, my suspission is that you will get a great deal on a guzzler, not so much on a sipper.....I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You mentioned New York City--is that where you live? If so, how do you use your car? Do you park it during the week and only use it to escape the City, or do you drive it daily? How many miles do you put on the car usually?

If you are intending on city driving, the Prius is probably the better choice--it handles true city stop and go driving better. If you want to get out of the city, the Civic is a great choice, and it will still hold it's own against any gas car for city driving.

I would suggest a test drive of each and seeing what you like and dislike. If you like one better than the other, get it. Otherwise look at the numbers for your situation. Even though the Prius would likely exceed the Civic's mileage in the city, you could still come out ahead financially with the Civic due to the tax credit ($1,050--until July 1 I think?) and the lower purchase price.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

You can get the Prius with some nice features like Bluetooth, backup camera, keyless ignition. The Civic is far more comfortable and in my opinion has better styling. I test drove both and I went with the Civic.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

Plus the tax credit is still available on the Civic (buy now and get $1050 back next year). The credit is no longer available on the Prius.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

I'm also looking at civic vs prius... civic looks a little nicer i'll be driving mostly highway 65 miles each way.. 130 round trip each day.

Prius here in NJ looks like 8 to 10 week wait.. and HCH is about a month wait.

What is gas mileage at about 75 to 80 mph? Also what are the current prices people are getting for these? The local dealer said about $26k

Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by destro23
I'm also looking at civic vs prius... civic looks a little nicer i'll be driving mostly highway 65 miles each way.. 130 round trip each day.

Prius here in NJ looks like 8 to 10 week wait.. and HCH is about a month wait.

What is gas mileage at about 75 to 80 miles per hour? Also what are the current prices people are getting for these? The local dealer said about $26k
I'm in NJ near Cherry Hill and have a 96 mile commute round trip. I bought mine mid-March at the Turnersville Auto Mall and they had 5 Civic Hybrids in stock (1 with navigation which I bought for $24850). I find driving at 70-72mph yields the best mpg; about 45-55mpg (Atlantic City Expressway). My total average over the last 2 months has been 49.6.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast

I'm going to be doing Atlantic City NJ to Philadelphia(whole expressway). Just about every day. Realistically i'll be doing about 75mph average. I also work in Mt. Laurel a few days a week doing some consulting. I guess i'll start doing the math on regular Civic Vs HCH in gas vs additional cost for hybrid. I will be prob putting 30-40k miles a year on it.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Remember to factor in the $1050 tax credit (unless you fall into the AMT catagory). Any car, hybrid or gas only takes a hit above 70, actually, you take a hit at 70 over 60 but I digress...remember, the hybrid & gas civic have the same bodies, same arodynamics just a different engine & tires....LRR tires may help mileage, small engine may hurt....I don't know that answer for sure but if you want a true feel for what the gas mileage is, rent one of each for a couple of days and conduct your own tests with the way you drive. It will cost you a few hundred up front but at least you won't get a car you are not really happy with.
Also keep in mind the HCH & Civic LX have different levels of interior trim, the 2 day rental will give you chance to see which you prefer (I MUCH prefer the Hybrid, factored in my buying over a LX)

Quick Reply: Newbie here: Questions in buying a new HCH II

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands