HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

OEM windshield cost/quality vs. aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OEM windshield cost/quality vs. aftermarket

Joe, the first shop that replaced my first windshield was recommended by the insurance company. The guy at the front desk said there was no difference between the OEM and the aftermarket glass and the OEM glass is a waste of money. Fine. I says. and I got the cheaper glass put on.

Then the second glass cracked cause of a chip. the second shop I went to was recommended by the dealer... the supervisor at that shop walks me around the back yard giving me examples of broken OEM Honda glass (with Honda stamp) and the weak cheap alternatives. I also talked to a couple of his shop people and they said that the chip repairs they make are more serious and numerous on the non-Honda glass. anyways, it was a learning experience for me and from that day on I will always pick OEM cause the windshields are an important part of the body structure I am not messing with it just to make it cheaper for the insurance company.
at least with the Honda glass I get my car back as original as possible and when I sell it nobody can tell it got broken. that is worth somethin to me too.

ks

Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: OEM windshield cost/quality vs. aftermarket

SafeLite replaced my windshield this morning, and it's all good with one concern. The molding – at the top edge where the windshield meets the roof panel – does not fit flush with the roof panel in some places... the gap is small but noticeable to me. The technician said to leave it in the sun for a couple of hours and it would probably flatten out. But after two hours in the sun I see no progress and am doubtful. I don't like the fit. Does anyone have experience with this molding? SafeLite said if it doesn't respond to the sun, they would reinstall it, but I don't want to be an alarmist about it, either.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Buddy do you not have full coverage insurance, It cost me my Comprehensive deduct which is lower than my Collision deductable. and I went with Safelite, leak warranty and they come to you for install.

Just read your comment and I had this done to my Ranger and yes the seal flattened out in the sun over a couple of days, you could put Painters tape on it to help hold it down and that way the sun will get through to heat it.. Oh ya the seal is warranted for as long as you own it so if it leaks they fix..

Last edited by KC-09-HCH; 09-09-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Update: I ended up replacing my broken windshield with SafeLite. I paid about $250, and learned that it costs less from SafeLite if NOT referred by an insurance company or other vendor (about 20 percent less, in my case).

Unfortunately, there were quality problems:
1. The first problem was the new upper rubber molding (supplied by Honda) did not sit flush with the roof when installed. The mobile technician told me to leave it in the sun for a few hours and the rubber would 'relax.' It didn't.

2. The second problem was that the windshield wipers were reinstalled wrong, and they hit each other on each wipe cycle.
Today, the original technician came back to make the repairs:
1. He replaced the entire windshield again, in order to replace the upper molding. He used an aftermarket molding that he said was more flexible and would seat better. Now it looks perfect and correct.

2. He adjusted the wipers. They still hit. He adjusted them again. They still hit. Finally he figured out that he had switched the left/right wipers, and made the change. They didn't hit – d'oh!)

3. He thanked me, and was getting ready to leave. I called to him, "Aren't you going to reinstall the roof molding? He realized that he hadn't finished reassembling the pieces, and he laughed at his incompetence.
I expect that all SafeLite technicians are not so mindless. But if your wipers hit each other after being reinstalled, now you know why. Moral: a simple windshield repair is not always a simple windshield repair. But, on the positive side, at least he didn't scratch the paint.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast

Steve

On my gril friend's 2006 HCH II when the windshield cracked safelite replaced it. It looks great... I did notice that they removed and reinstalled the silver roof molding, but it is a good fit.

Rick

Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran Mechanic

Wow I almost had a similar incident here on the 78 freeway by the Melrose offramp.. someone tossed a rock at my car from the side of the road. I was lucky enough to see the thing coming and managed to totally avoid it since it was broad daylight.

I drove over to try and find who threw it, but they were long gone. never got a look at them anyways must have been behind bushes >< sad some people have to resort to such terrible forms of "entertainment"……..

And one of my previous cars, a 1996 subaru legacy was totaled by a huge rock that was rolled down a hill at traffic from a large hill on el camino real. I couldn't avoid that one and it hit the oilpan at about 50 mph which = instant engine death. sad sad…...

Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jamchel
Wow I almost had a similar incident here on the 78 freeway by the Melrose offramp.. someone tossed a rock at my car from the side of the road. I was lucky enough to see the thing coming and managed to totally avoid it since it was broad daylight.

I drove over to try and find who threw it, but they were long gone. never got a look at them anyways must have been behind bushes >< sad some people have to resort to such terrible forms of "entertainment"……..

And one of my previous cars, a 1996 subaru legacy was totaled by a huge rock that was rolled down a hill at traffic from a large hill on el camino real. I couldn't avoid that one and it hit the oilpan at about 50 mph which = instant engine death. sad sad…...
James, you're scaring me — that's my neighborhood!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Mechanic

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
James, you're scaring me — that's my neighborhood!
Oh wow, maybe you can spot who is tossing rocks and turn em in…. well it happened about a year and a half ago, so they probably got caught already I hope at least.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jamchel
Oh wow, maybe you can spot who is tossing rocks and turn em in…. well it happened about a year and a half ago, so they probably got caught already I hope at least.
I have an alibi! At the precise time of the incident, I was having dinner with a friend.