HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

P0420 - Bad Catalytic Converter - Need New One ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation P0420 - Bad Catalytic Converter - Need New One ASAP

I replaced the Rear o2 Sensor yesterday and cleared the code. Today the light came back on. I have to renew my state plates by Jan 31. Missouri requires state emissions tests. I need to pass in order to get my plates renewed. I am in need of a front catalytic converter asap. Does anyone know where I could get one besides the dealer? I have done online research and have only found the rear catalytic converter for around $700.

I am extremely angry with Honda right now. This car has been nothing be problems since I got it last year. I currently have 113,250 and the dealer says it is well out of the covered warranties. I have a constant battery drop any were from 2 to 4 per day.

Is it possible there is something else causing the P0420 Code? Here are the symptoms.

During acceleration rpms will hang and the engine will lose power and rpms drop about 200 and then you can feel like a jolt almost like a misfire?

I replace all spark plugs over the summer that was around 92,000.

Could this maybe be a Mass Air Flow Sensor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated I would really like to get rid of the car but I would be taking a loss.

-Todd

This is the front cat...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Default Re: P0420 - Bad Catalytic Converter - Need New One ASAP

Is it possible there is something else causing the P0420 Code? Here are the symptoms.

During acceleration rpms will hang and the engine will lose power and rpms drop about 200 and then you can feel like a jolt almost like a misfire?
I can't speak to the HCH2 but my HCH1 had had problems with the cat converter and I had frequent CEL on and P0420 codes. The thing is I never experienced any noticeable symptoms with the exception of the light itself.

I wonder if the engine RPM's and jolting might be a CVT issue and not related to the P0420.

For what it's worth Majestic Honda has the converter at about $580, if it's the right part: (item #1)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...PIPE+-+MUFFLER

Good luck...

Old 01-31-2011, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast

I replaced both Upstream and Downstream O2 Sensors. I immediately noticed a increase in MPGs and performance. Unfortunately the Check Engine Light came back on with the same code. I attempted to get my emissions but failed due to the system not ready. The light has stayed on after easing the code again.

I contacted the dealer I got the car from and they suggested opening a case with Honda Motor of America. I contacted them this morning and the representative opened two cases, one for the catalytic converter and the other for the IMA battery drops/recals.

She said they will try to fight the Catalytic Converter replacement under the California 150k Warranty even know the car is not registered under the state of California.

I am waiting to hear from the dealer about waving the $200 Diagnostic Fee and a loaner car while they inspect my car.

I am hoping to get at least a new catalytic converter but would love to have a new battery also.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TBaFFz
I replaced both Upstream and Downstream O2 Sensors. I immediately noticed a increase in MPGs and performance. Unfortunately the Check Engine Light came back on with the same code. I attempted to get my emissions but failed due to the system not ready. The light has stayed on after easing the code again.

I contacted the dealer I got the car from and they suggested opening a case with Honda Motor of America. I contacted them this morning and the representative opened two cases, one for the catalytic converter and the other for the IMA battery drops/recals.

She said they will try to fight the Catalytic Converter replacement under the California 150k Warranty even know the car is not registered under the state of California.

I am waiting to hear from the dealer about waving the $200 Diagnostic Fee and a loaner car while they inspect my car.

I am hoping to get at least a new catalytic converter but would love to have a new battery also.
What was the outcome?

One of my HCH2's is throwing the P0420 after throwing multiple codes including P2A00 (o2 sensor). It was running HORRIBLY with active misfires (flashy CEL) under even gentle acceleration. I replaced the plugs with all OEM NGK, and it's running MUCH better. Over the last week, performance is deteriorating slightly. It idles a little rough, and it appears to have a slight power loss. It's hard to say for sure, but under slight acceleration, it almost sounds like it's pinging.

I'd like to know the outcome of your situation.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

S Keith - Did you replace the wires when you did the spark plugs?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 PM

Wire replacement not relevant. 1 coil/cylinder atop each plug. "Wires" are just thin electrical cables to signal and supply trigger current to coil. They do not supply high voltage.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:36 PM

Pinging was 2 of 4 clogged EGR ports, and I had one bad coil.