HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

P1448 with good battery and fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default P1448 with good battery and fan

Long story short, maxx grid charger was used. Shortly after driving the check engine light came on. Followed shortly by ima and after another 30 minutes the red battery light. After another 30 minutes (was on a trip, couldn't stop) all lights came on then car died.
After a new 12v battery and a stay over night at a hotel and code reset. All lights went away... for ten minutes. Was able to limp home using no a.c...

I have taken apart/inspected the dc-dc converter and pcm. They all look and smell ok. Code is P1448 and the ima fan will not run at all. But it WILL run if hooked up to maxx charger. I've checked all fuses and forums for 3 days now. Honda is booked up until next week and the wife needs this car. Any ideas would be awesome.
also, battery seems ok. Assist and regen still work. Battery also hangs out near the upper range most of the time. Seems to work great until lights come on :/
-James

Old 07-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: P1448 with good battery and fan

1) Contact Maxx Volts and do what they say.
2) If you don't hear back from them like others on this forum, completely remove the harness and see if the problem persists.

Consider:
1) you installed it incorrectly
2) In the splicing process, you may have cut either the (+), ground or PWM wire(s)
3) Something in the attached fan controller is preventing the car from driving the fan

With the harness removed, the car running and the IPU lid open (beware the HV contacts), you should be able to short the PWM wire to the ground wire in the 4 pin fan connector, and the car will drive the fan at full blast.

EDIT: Did you do any charging or driving with the IPU lid off? If so, you completely disabled the cooling system. The IPU lid must be in place, or the fan can't pull vacuum on the IPU and suck cooling air in through the battery.

Last edited by S Keith; 07-03-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the feedback. I guess it is worth mentioning that the charger has been installed for a few months. This was our second charge. Our first charge about 2 months ago also yielded a CEL but cleared after a couple hours. Car is currently disassembled and fan removed. I did remove both splices and verify the cables are not broken as far as I can tell. It also passed a continuity test.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast

Maxx volts simply said "it is impossible to get a CEL if you follow the directions to the letter"

Old 07-03-2018, 12:28 PM

Yes, it would have been worth mentioning.

Unfortunately, aside from recommending you check fuses and confirm 12V battery voltage on the fan plug (from car), I'm no more helpful than Maxx at this point.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast

I appreciate the try. I'm stumped too at this point. Is hate to throw a ton of money at the wrong thing.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:37 PM

Good cheap place to start:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2007-2....c100005.m1851

Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jschoenherr
Maxx volts simply said "it is impossible to get a CEL if you follow the directions to the letter"
This information is true. I use their system also. The general use instructions that came with the system clearly indicates to disconnect the 12v battery ground AFTER charging to reset BCM and ECM memory so it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a CEL code after charging when you follow the directions and erase ECM memory of stored codes.

The reason you have a code after charging is because you have NOT followed the instructions outlined above and in your documentation. If you called me with the same symptoms, I would tell you the same thing that they did.

Further, the IMA fan is NOT SUPPOSED TO RUN unless the BCM trigger thresholds have been met which includes certain temperature minimum values. Complaining that your fan doesn't turn on when its supposed to be off is kind of ridiculous,

Old 07-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ManieP
This information is true. I use their system also. The general use instructions that came with the system clearly indicates to disconnect the 12v battery ground AFTER charging to reset BCM and ECM memory so it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a CEL code after charging when you follow the directions and erase ECM memory of stored codes.

The reason you have a code after charging is because you have NOT followed the instructions outlined above and in your documentation. If you called me with the same symptoms, I would tell you the same thing that they did.

Further, the IMA fan is NOT SUPPOSED TO RUN unless the BCM trigger thresholds have been met which includes certain temperature minimum values. Complaining that your fan doesn't turn on when its supposed to be off is kind of ridiculous,
alright random person, I never said I didn't follow the directions. And I'm not complaining that it doesn't run when it isn't supposed to. I'm "complaining" that it doesn't run EVER. And judging by the comments here I'm not the only one who has issues with (probably a safe bet to say "your" here) the charger.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Not sure what you are rambling about over there with your deflection of attention from the facts, but YOU CANNOT HAVE A CEL LIGHT IF YOU RESET THE ECM MEMORY PRIOR TO STARTING THE CAR. There are no codes stored in the ECU if you have followed the directions. The directions post charging are the SAME no matter what grid charger you use, even if you made one yourself. A CEL code has nothing to do with the charger you are using. This is a public internet forum, there is no random people entering or posting in threads, there are only members of forums that may or may not choose to respond to your cry for help on this public hybrid web forum. If you do not want people responding to your thread, then don't post within this public forum. Nobody is going to help someone who doesn't want to listen or accept the facts.

Quick Reply: P1448 with good battery and fan

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands