HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Passenger Airbag Recall bad repair job

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Passenger Airbag Recall bad repair job

Edit: resolved by dealership quickly and painlessly!

Just need to vent a little.
I finally got my Takata airbag inflator recall notice last week, and I had the service performed at my local Honda dealership today.

I picked up the car, and noticed that the right end of the passenger side dash cover (the giant single piece of plastic that is on top of the passenger airbag) was not actually installed properly. It is loose. If i push one end it rocks. The tiny defroster vent cover is half lifted out, like something is wedged behind it. The gap on the left side is uneven. The whole assembly was obviously installed out of alignment. I'm not sure how it's installed in other cars, but in the HCH-II the airbag is directly bolted onto this plastic cover, so the airbag and this piece of plastic are one assembly and designed to work together.

*RANT START*
You would think that people who fix AIRBAGS for a living would pay attention and repair it RIGHT. I mean it's not a light bulb. It's an AIRBAG. Not only that, this is an air bag type that has been proven to explode and kill people. So why can't you pay attention and assemble it correctly? WHY would you slap it on crooked and call it good?

Tomorrow, I am going back to the dealer to ask them to fix it.

Honestly though, I do not trust them to fix it correctly. there are plastic tabs that are supposed to be aligned correctly under that cover, but I have zero confidence that any of those tabs are still in place.

If they can't do it right to my satisfaction tomorrow, you betcha I am going to write a formal letter to NHTSA and Honda Corporate.

Last edited by gafortiby; 03-15-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Passenger Airbag Recall bad repair job

Well, second time turned out great. Dealership quickly owned up to the mistake, no arguing at all, and fixed the issue right away with apologies. It was refreshing since I have never had dealerships own up to mistakes before. I thought I would have an uphill battle but these guys made it easy.

Looks perfect now and I visually inspected all the parts before reassembly to make sure all underlying components were done right. Not one plastic tab was bent or out of place so it's good.

Still would have been nice if it was perfect the first time, but not bad. Good actually.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Passenger Airbag Recall bad repair job

Glad to hear they owned up to it!