HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

PC card adapter for navi

Old 06-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default PC card adapter for navi

I'm looking to buy a PC card for the navi.. I have a 512mb sandisk compact flash card that I'm currently not using, so I was thinking of buying a PC card adapter to fit my CF card to use for the navi. But I was looking at some PC card adapters, specifically this one -- http://www.semsons.com/comflastopcc.html

but it states that this only supports 16-bit devices, not 32 bit. Does anyone know if the screen on the navi is a 16 or 32 bit screen? (or 8 perhaps?). I don't want to buy one and have to return it.. what would work?

I was searching the forums, I didn't see anything specific to this problem, but I did read a lot of people were having problems with PC card readers and compatibility in their navigation systems, especially with using SD cards.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: PC card adapter for navi

That is not what you need. That device is used for taking a compact flash slot and converting it to a PC card slot. From the link, it says "Converts any CF Type I / Type II slot into a PC Card slot". The Honda Civic's navi has the PC Card slot already and you want an adapter that will allow it to accept Compact Flash cards. This is what you need. They are pretty cheap.

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...d_Adapter.aspx

Good luck.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Another option is just to put MP3s on a blank CD. This is roughly 700MB compared to your 512MB compact flash card. It still gives a very nice interface for accessing your music. I have the appropriate card reader and compact flash cards, but I haven't tried them in the Civic yet. I just use a CD.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast

great idea, thanks so much! I didn't realize that the product I linked was only an adapter for a PC card slot. After I read the 16-bit/32-bit deal i sorta freaked out..

perhaps I'll just buy a larger sized memory card for pc card adapter.. i suppose 512mb isn't so large these days... though blank cd's are certainly a good (and cheaper) alternative.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default A nerd note for MP3 files on CPF or CDs

If you use a Macintosh to copy your music files to a CD or CPF card, the Mac will copy a extra "invisible .DS_Store" files. with the same file name to the medium. This file has the resource data fork that the Mac uses for icons, etc.

The down side of this is that there will be all of these extra files that the Navi radio (and the Windows CE file system) will try to read. This can be frustrating because it can take up to 5 minutes to go through all of the .DS_Store files before it comes to the music (.mp3) files.

To fix this issue, either make your copies with a Windows computer or get an application for your Mac called Blueharvest to clean up the .DS_Store files on the CPF card or on the CD volume before it is burned to the CD medium.