HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Petrol engine shutdown below 40km / hour

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Petrol engine shutdown below 40km / hour

In my new 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid, I understand that there is a feature that enhances fuel economy when travelling in slow traffic below 40 km per hour where the electric IMA engine works alone. However, I do not see this working in my vehicle - or understand what instruments show that it is working.

Could someone please comment on this and tell me how and when this does work?

Thanks.

Last edited by Drive-A-Hybrid; 06-05-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Word change
Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Petrol engine shutdown below 40km / hour

Welcome to the forums!

When you are cruising and you ease up on the throttle, the HCH can go into a "glide mode" which is what you're referring to: all four cylinders on the ICE (gas/petrol engine) deactivate, and the car halts combustion while keeping speed solely by the electric motor. You can feel a very subtle jolt when this happens, as well as seeing the iFCD (instantaneous mileage display) suddenly drop to 0- assuming you're reading L/100KM. Other than the iFCD reading 0, there is no instrumentation in the car that notifies you. Note that the ICE crankshaft is still turning in this mode due to design of the IMA system, so it won't be as silent as a Prius in all-electric mode.

Once you're in glide mode, you can actually increase throttle very slowly and still remain in glide- the IMA Assist gauge will generally go up to 4 bars before the car will stop glide mode and the cylinders re-activate. I usually find it difficult to keep speed up while in glide.

Last edited by morgante; 06-05-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The speed limit for electric-only is higher than 40 km/hr in my experience with the '06, likely around 70 km. If you've got the realtime fuel economy gauge showing in the upper dash display (very good practice), whenever it's showing 0 liters/100km and the electric motor bar graphs is showing 0 to 4 bars, you're in electric-only mode.

By design this mode is very transitory, short duration. If it was easier to get into this mode, the traction battery would be overtaxed.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinner
(soapbox time)

Should stop calling it a throttle. The accelerator pedal is using drive-by-wire, meaning that it is only a Human Interface Device to a computer. The amount of pressure applied tells it how much you want to accelerate; It is the computer's responsibility to determine how to achieve that goal.

The above is not a personal criticism, but I do proudly criticize the notions of owners that think they're more in control than they really are. Especially those of noted "hypermilers" who think that their subjective observations into the workings of the car -- without the benefit of intimate knowledge & analysis of the computers that drives it -- are conclusive. While the instruments are there for our benefit, they are at best a guesstimate so you shouldn't be drawing up rules and expectations on what is going to happen next.
Sorry for using the term; I do realize that it is drive-by-wire and the computer has ultimate control but I randomly decided to type "throttle" instead of "accelerator"...less typing I suppose.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

There is nothing wrong with the word throttle and it applies very well cause people understand what it is, and thats the point.
my honda dealer uses the word and the honda stuff I read use it to. It doesn't matter if it is drive by wire or not, if I punch the gas pedal my HCH will add more gas to the ICE so no matter what anyone says I'm in control.
That is why some get 40 MPG and I get way better than that even when sluggin it in rush hour.

ks

Old 06-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

on my petrol civic i can get up to 150 MPG when i begin coasting, especially down an incline, by coasting i mean, i take my foot completely off the accelerator, if this was a civic hybrid would the electric motor kick in, in these conditions?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you come onto the gas pedal easy and get rid of the regen [grn] bars and show one to four assist bars you are in EV mode! You can manage up to 5 assist bars now and then. You will feel the ICE kick in. You can not use EV mode if 5 or less SOC bars.I believe you need at least 6 bars on the SOC indicator for EV to take place? Hal

Old 06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's right, it is best to have max state of charge on the battery meter, roll off the throttle til your economy maxes out, which means the ICE is now not consuming fuel, then gently roll on the throttle / gas pedal until the green bars disappear and you are creeping into the assist bars, now the conditions must be right. Slight decline or even road, and enough battery power. I can hold EV Glide for about a km on level ground and more on a slight inlcine. I have even managed this at hwy speeds of about 80km/h only if the battery is very full. Pay attention to the fuel econony indicator if it jumps then you have the ICE coming back on.