HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Poll: What's your best tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Poll: What's your best tank?

My wife asked me the other day what's the best tank anyone has achieved in the HCH2. I wasn't sure, but I recall seeing some folks in the low 60's over the years.

So the question is, what's the best tank you've gotten or heard about for the HCH2? To weed out ringers, lets say: over at least 500 miles and please indicate circumstances that may have been exceptional: strong tail wind, fillup at a high elevation, etc.

For me, my best was 665 miles @57.3 MPG. All just around town and commuting.

I'm looking forward to knowing what others are getting!

-dan

Old 07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Poll: What's your best tank?

Originally Posted by dantheman
For me, my best was 665 miles @57.3 MPG. All just around town and commuting.

-dan
Just curious what your "around town" techniques are for getting such great mileage. I've had my HCH for only a couple of months, but it seems that only on the freeway can I get even close to 50 mpg. I'm also in the Bay Area, so we both probably have similar heavy traffic situations.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

It takes a lot of work which many don't care for, but here are some of my tips:

I only have to hop on the expressway for most of my driving, so I can keep my speed to 45 or less. On the freeway i run about 60. That helps a lot. I'm always looking way ahead to the next light and do my best to adjust my speed so that I slow down as little as possible. I don't accelerate fast, ever. I try to keep the tach to 1800 or less during acceleration. I use as little electrical assist as possible to get going, but try to generate as much charge as possible when slowing down - all to avoid forced regen. The goal in slowing down is slow down no faster than the regen system can handle without the brakes - that's not very fast. Despite lots of evidence it doesn't help get good FE, I use cruise control A LOT. Once I get to my target speed, even on a short stretch, I ennage cruise control. From then on, I'll make small adjustments in speed using the controls.

-dan

Old 07-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dantheman
So the question is, what's the best tank you've gotten or heard about for the HCH2? To weed out ringers, lets say: over at least 500 miles and please indicate circumstances that may have been exceptional: strong tail wind, fillup at a high elevation, etc.
Dan, my best tank is my first tank. I filled it up 30 minutes ago! It was 539.9 miles on 10.6 gallons so I guess 50.9mpg. The fuel warning light had just come on. Conditions were relatively flat, 90-95 degrees, little to no wind. The trip is 98% highway on I-10. Speeds ranged from 45-65. We still have a 45mph speed limit on the twinspan bridge since it's still an erector set from Katrina and it's 8 miles long. I don't mind, it helps the mpg!

I picked the car up last Wednesday night and until two days ago, I just drove the car being conservative. I found this forum, read some messages and then yesterdays and todays commute (60.8 miles round trip) ended up with 61.2mpg and 59.4 respectively. I think I will do much better on the next tank.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

My personal best is 800.1 miles out of a tank. Avg economy displayed for the overall tank was 63.6 mpg... It was only one time, and it wasn't easy. The last 80+ miles on the tank had no bars displayed!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

My best tank was my last fill up...695 miles at 63.7 mpg.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Hybrid Evangelist

5 tank since April 15th.

578.8 actual miles
10.652 gals. fill up
$41.00 total
$3.849 gal price
54.34 actual mpg
1.648 gals remaining in tank
89.55 potential mileage remaining in tank
668.35 potential tank mileage

Conditions: 75% Hwy, 25% surface street several rainy days, most dys in high 80s, low 90s

Last edited by mdarmistead; 07-11-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: added conditions
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

741 miles at 71.6 MPG calculated at the pump.
It was a lot of trouble.

I still had gas left but don't like to run it dry.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Some impressive tanks on here. I think I have a disadvantage in Utah driving in the mountains and never below 4000 feet, but my best tank was 701.6 miles on 12.056 gallons, for 58.2 miles per gallon. I drive about 50% highway pretty consistently. I also use cruise control constantly. I drive the speed limit.

mdarmistead, It looks like you are figuring a tank capacity of 12.3 gallons. My largest fill-up was 12.417 gallons, and I always stop at the second click. Either my tank holds more, or I got a rip-off pump...

Old 07-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Normally my web server shares up a pair of pics in my sig, one is the trip from the office to my apartment, the other is my all-time best tank (currently 62.0mpg for 605mi, if I remember).

Quick Reply: Poll: What's your best tank?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands