HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Poor Gas Mileage and IMA Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Poor Gas Mileage and IMA Problems

I've attained 1100 miles on my '07 HCH and I haven't seen better than 27 MPG. After 300 miles, the dealer said to wait until the break-in period was up (1st oil change), then it would improve. After 6 weeks of driving the IMA and battery lights started appearing, apparently randomly. The dealer found nothing to diagnose other than some check engine code - after another visit (whole week) to the shop. The IMA has lit up about 5 times in the last 3 weeks.

Any others have a similar problem?

Old 01-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Poor Gas Mileage and IMA Problems

600m on my 07, no such issues. Im getting about 41mpg combined.
Something is definately not right with all those lights flashing.

Did you take it to the dealer with the lights on? Thats important for accurate code reading.

Ask to talk to Honda service guy who overseas the local area...a step up from the dealer level. This is simply not acceptable for a new car.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast

Fortunately, all lights were blazing when I drove it up to the service window and the service rep took it back to the mechanic. Of course, when the car is restarted only the check engine light comes back on (lasts for a few days then resets). I'll ask them to elevate the problem to someone "bigger" - thanks. I'm still wondering if my low mileage is pointing to some tranny problems.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:51 AM
World's First Hybrid

Being a random problem, it sounds like it could be a loose wire or ground wire somewhere. ??? Check with other posts on the poor gas mileage issue.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

your milage is VERY suspect. My worst milage week, I got about 29mpg...driving in stop and go traffic jams in 25 degree weather up Pittsburgh hills, taking over an hour to go 12 miles, to give you an idea of the amount of gas wasted at idle (autostop wouldn't kick in because the engine couldn't warm up with all the autostopping). Under those horrendous, worst-case scenario driving conditions, I still got more than your average.

Under normal driving conditions, my worst tank was 44 miles per gallon. My average has gone down to about 46-47 since the winter started, even with the nice weather, but in the summer I got between 49-51 on average. If I lived in a hilly place like Pittsburgh, I'd probably be getting around 37-40 in the winter or so, but not 27. Something is wrong, especially with the lights. I've got 26,000 miles on my '06 HCH II, and I've not seen the IMA light once (except during the startup checks).

Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

That car doesn't sound well at all.

I'd invest in a cheap digital camera (or cell/camera phone) and photograph it each time it occurs. Pull over to the side of the road and the next opportunity, write down the conditions and snap a photo of it. Then show them to Honda.

Depending on what state you are in, you may need to document these incidents, just in case you qualify for a lemon-law settlement.

BTW, I've had my '04 HCH MT, for 83k miles now with no problems.

I've replaced the filters, the oil, other fluids and had to replace the tires and the 12v battery. I've never had a tank below 42 or so, during the first winter after I purchased the car.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've never seen anything below 40 in mine... and never any lights. Sounds like you've got a problem that needs to be repaired. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:55 PM
mild hybridizer
Default Sounds like a lemon

You may just have a lemon car. You may have to start inquiring with the Honda corporation via complaints if you can't get anywhere with the dealer. Usually, the dealer will try to prolong having to go through the trouble of diagnosing the vehicle as a lemon.

I get about 30-31 mpg here on Long Island during 30-40 degree weather with driving only 3 mi each way for my commute. Basically I'm only using the engine since in this weather the engine can't warm up completely during that short a commute for the IMA and Auto Stop to kick in. In 20 degree weather while driving on the highway between 65 and 70 mph I can get 40 to 45 mpg.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k_gocart
I've attained 1100 miles on my '07 HCH and I haven't seen better than 27 MPG. After 300 miles, the dealer said to wait until the break-in period was up (1st oil change), then it would improve. After 6 weeks of driving the IMA and battery lights started appearing, apparently randomly. The dealer found nothing to diagnose other than some check engine code - after another visit (whole week) to the shop. The IMA has lit up about 5 times in the last 3 weeks.
Originally Posted by k_gocart

Any others have a similar problem?
I had something similar with my first HCHII. I was at least getting better gas mileage, but the check engine, IMA and batter light started appearing. I would turn the car off and turn it back on and it would start working again, but the check engine light would stay on. The dealership had the car for a while, than Honda Corporate had the car too. They replaced a bunch of parts but it never ran the same after that. Here is the thread with my issue. Honda replaced it but it took a while. I am not very impressed with the quality of the car and customer service that Honda provided.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/showthread.php?t=5556&page=6

I would recommend calling Honda Customer Service and opened a case number. Keep good notes too.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JordanCS
My worst milage week, I got about 29mpg...driving in stop and go traffic jams in 25 degree weather up Pittsburgh hills, taking over an hour to go 12 miles...If I lived in a hilly place like Pittsburgh, I'd probably be getting around 37-40 in the winter or so, but not 27.
So am I doing a good job to maintain 48.8 mpg lifetime and 49.6 mpg since Dec '06? Granted the temps are warmer than normal but the hills are still the same no matter the temps. Yesterday it was 46 mpg in the 25 F temps but today it was 54 mpg in 35 F temps. JordanCS - I imagine you were most likely heading West from town and up the Parkway in traffic for those numbers? The only other hill with mucho traffic is heading East on the Parkway through a tunnel. That's the Greentree hill (West of town) and always has traffic so I typically avoid it at all costs though sometimes it is unavoidable. Yep, welcome to my hilly corner of the world.

Quick Reply: Poor Gas Mileage and IMA Problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands