Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Possible tranny problem ???? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/possible-tranny-problem-12540/)

mexiken 03-05-2007 02:54 PM

Possible tranny problem ????

Ok, so I've got a problem with my HCH II. Unfortunately, its a problem that is VERY hard to duplicate. It only happens in certain situations, but when it does, its pretty bad.

So I'm going slowly (about 20-30 mph), and I usually, not always, have just come around a turn. I accelerate on the pedal. I don't floor it, but I'm not feathering it either. I'm giving it gas like normal. Suddenly, the engine finds ALL this horsepower, the car takes off like a rocket (as if I hit a NOS button), the RPM's go high, and then the car almost peels out like it was changing gears (like my Chevelle does), then backs down and continues accelerating normally as if nothing had happened :confused:

I'm thinking it must be that the tranny not grabbing the right gear ratio, choosing one higher, but the difference between torque between the two is HUGE.

Anyone else experienced this or know what its doing ???? Anyone know what to do ????

For info purposes, I have 36K on the car, have had the tranny serviced at the dealer already, and I think (but can't remember) if it was doing that before the service.

MBNorCal 03-05-2007 04:17 PM

Re: Possible tranny problem ????

Originally Posted by mexiken (Post 114525)
Ok, so I've got a problem with my HCH II. Unfortunately, its a problem that is VERY hard to duplicate. It only happens in certain situations, but when it does, its pretty bad.

So I'm going slowly (about 20-30 mph), and I usually, not always, have just come around a turn. I accelerate on the pedal. I don't floor it, but I'm not feathering it either. I'm giving it gas like normal. Suddenly, the engine finds ALL this horsepower, the car takes off like a rocket (as if I hit a NOS button), the RPM's go high, and then the car almost peels out like it was changing gears (like my Chevelle does), then backs down and continues accelerating normally as if nothing had happened :confused:

I'm thinking it must be that the tranny not grabbing the right gear ratio, choosing one higher, but the difference between torque between the two is HUGE.

Anyone else experienced this or know what its doing ???? Anyone know what to do ????

For info purposes, I have 36K on the car, have had the tranny serviced at the dealer already, and I think (but can't remember) if it was doing that before the service.

definately not normal. check with your service advisor.

gumby 03-06-2007 08:12 PM

Sounds like a CVT issue. It may not be a serious thing, but it would be annoying.
From time to time, I feel the CVT belt is positioned in too high "a gear" too. If I just let off the acceleration a tad, it'll settle into a more proper range. I have never experienced a SUDDEN jolting change like you're describing.

mexiken 03-08-2007 09:43 AM

I used to have such a problem too gumby, but that has since gone away. This one has replaced it. I haven't felt in awhile, and like I said, its VERY hard to duplicate, and I've tried, oh I've tried. So it makes me sad because I doubt the techs will be able to reproduce. But like I said, when it does that, its not good, nor do I consider it too safe either (the car suddenly picking up speed faster than normal is a surprise to me)

Harold 04-07-2007 02:32 PM

Could this be a problem with the electronic throttle? Could be sensing higher throttle position.

Pbaker 04-15-2007 06:10 AM

From what I understand, if there was a problem with the "gear selection" from the computer that controls the CVT, and the ECU picked up the problem it will store a trouble code in either the CVT computer or the ECU.
Definitely take it to the dealer, describe what you have experienced and they should check all the trouble codes.

Harold 04-15-2007 09:19 AM

Power from the engine is what makes the cvt responed! I think you are going to full throttle, so be carefull. It is a fly by wire type throttle and new teck, so anything can happen!:embarass:

Harold 04-26-2007 06:29 PM

Luis, have you found the cause of the problem with your HCH 2 yet. Was it a car problem or driver:omg:

mexiken 05-10-2007 02:08 PM

Hello. I haven't gone in. I haven't had it do it in a LONG TIME. I also noticed it does it more often when its cool as opposed to warm. I wish I could duplicate it more easily. But next time it does it, I will DEFINITELY take it in.