HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Problems with OEM Dunlops

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Problems with OEM Dunlops

Agreed, have them look at the car again. My tires were rotated every 7.5K and have worn evenly. They should last me until 45-50K and then, I'm going to replace them with the Bridgestone Insignia SE200. They're actually cheaper than the OEM Dunlops I got. Anyways, good luck with it and hopefully, it will be covered under the warranty.

Peace,
Paul

Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

My 2008 Civic Hybrid has those Dunlops. I'll keep an eye on them. OEM tires are infamous for being cheap. When these wear out, I'll want to spend the extra $ and install some quality low rolling resistance tires.

Can anyone recommend the best tire for the Civic as far as great mileage?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

We have had 8 sets of rear tires ruined by something they can't figure out. Here is a sample of the last set before we switched to the snow tires (also ruined, but less then 1 season on them, lots of tread, but wobbly)

The car has had the camber repair made, the rear struts replaced (fixed the jumping about when we hit a bump) and multiple alignments.

Before the control arm replacement, we got cupping on the inside edges. Now we are getting abnormal wear on the outside edges.

If don't know how well the picture will show, but the rear tire tread is completely missing on the outside edges for about half the tire. The fronts look new still.

The car has a pull to the right, various alignments have fixed the pull, but the pull itself is not consistant - at lower speeds (sometimes!) it is quite bad, at others its fine - only a slight drift - very little pressure required to correct it. On icy roads the rear end will drift back and forth - it feels like the sensation you get when you are hydroplaning, a slight drift easily correctable, but once corrected will keep drifting in the opposite direction. It is most noticable when going uphill. When we make slow speed turns in bad road conditions (snow-slush mix) the car will turn very quickly, but not because it is turning, but because the rear is sliding sideways over the road - not following the front.

The right front tire is the one to spin on snow/ice as well. I don't know if it is an alignment issue or maybe the transmission putting down more power to one side or the other. The dealer has been great in that after the first pair was replace pro-rated - they have foot the bill for the remaining sets (except the winter tires - snow tire shortage in ontario they are saying)

Last edited by Ontario07Civic; 01-16-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Photo not showing
Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Looks like positive camber now? Alignment is way out? Could also be towed out? One side worse than other. This would explain the pull to one side! I would go to a top notch alignment shop and give them a try. H

Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry Ontario07Civic is experiencing such severe tire wear. Must be an alignment problem unique to that vehicle. I wonder if the car has been in an accident?

My Civic Hybrid 08 has those same Dunlops. Too early to tell if the tires are wearing unevenly. By the way, can anyone explain why those tires have the unbalanced tread design, with the offset groove going round the entire tread? I've never seen a tread design like this?

Last edited by Johnny Mileagemaker; 01-16-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

We purchased the car new off the lot with 200 km on it. We've never been in an accident. The tires are the stock Dunlops. The dealer has done all the work. We have not had to pay for any tires other then the first set.

Last edited by Ontario07Civic; 01-16-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dpayne
I am getting new tires (Yokohama AVID TRZ) next week at Discount Tire. I will ask the tech there why he thinks my tires have worn this way and discuss an alignment.
Any feedback on the rolling-resistance / fuel economy performance of the TRZs? I'm looking to get tires very soon, and the Honda tech recommended these. Don't think he had fuel economy in mind, though, and I was pretty happy with the Dunlops in that regard.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 AM

There was a thread awhile back that used these tires and he had lower FE. Hal

Old 02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Confused
Default Problems with unusual tire wear

My wife's tires are wearing on the outside as well. They are almost to the wear bars. The car has just over 21,000 on it. We had the control arms replaced @ 9,354. Tires were rotated at 6,300 and at 14,100 miles.

What is the rear camber issue? When the control arms were done the tires were OK and the dealer aligned the car. I asked for a printout before and after on the alignment, but they said they didn't have it. Now I'm wondering if they messed up the rear camber.

I'll try and take a picture of the tires tomorrow and post them.

Chris

Old 02-22-2009, 10:46 PM

Sounds like a alignment is out for sure. Those are poor quality tire to begin with. I have not heard of many getting over 40,000 miles out of them Chris.
Hal

Quick Reply: Problems with OEM Dunlops

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands