HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rattle and Roll

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Rattle and Roll

Thank you! I never even thought of that. I will try some grease to alleviate the problem.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

You may remember me posting earlier in this thread about a squeaking noise from the rear of my HCHII. Well after 2.5 hours at the dealership....it turned out to just be two body panels in the rear that were rubbing. It was fixed under warranty but it sure took them long enough .

Old 11-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast

Good to year you were able to fix those rattles yourself. I guess you're right. If I had tried to fix it myself it would have taken me more than 2.5 hours and I likely wouldn't have fixed the problem.

Its good that we have this little "rattle database" going so that people can refer here and fix rattles themselves

Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

I sometimes have a little rattle that seems to come from under the steering wheel. Sometimes pushing up on the steering wheel makes it go away, but I haven`t found the source.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

In mine, a 2006, the front door panels rattled. The large expanse of plastic above the arm rests rattled against the interior of the door, and because it is so large and flat the sound sort of bounced straight into my ears.

When I replaced the front speakers, I used a few self-adhesive weather stripping bits between the door structure and the interior panel, which took care of the sound. I've also noticed a few places where the door interior can rub the side of the dash, or against the structural pillar between doors. A product like Armorall might either solve the problem or make it worse...not sure!

About the speakers: the factory speakers are the cheapest, lightest pieces of cardboard junk imaginable. Even a pair of $60 speakers combined with the factory stereo will make a remarkable improvement in the quality of sound. I'm going to do the back speakers in a bit too.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Most factory speakers are just paper junk!

I must be lucky because our '08 is very quiet (except for the rear drum brake creak on one side that the dealer pretends is normal). There is one point of rattle though: the cluster/tachometer area has a very loud rattle when I hit just the right series of vibrating bumps. It usually doesn't happen, so I haven't really isolated it yet, but I swear it sounds like it's the stepper motor that drives the tach itself.