HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Real Horse Power and Torque

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Real Horse Power and Torque

What are the real horsepower and torque of HCH-II?

In some specifications i have read that is 110hp and in others 115.

What is the horsepower/torque of the engine and electric motor?

How HCH-II horsepower/torque are compared to a normal gasoline 1.4/1.6/1.8L car?

Honda claims that it is comparable to 1.8L. From what i have read from specifications my conclusions are:

1.HP/torque are comparable to 1.6L (only when the )

2.HP/torque are variable depending from the battery energy

e.g if you would climb up a mountain i believe that the performance of the car will be like a 1.4L (from its gasoline engine).

What do you think about it?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Real Horse Power and Torque

Well, the official Honda specifications have it at 110 hp and 123 lb-ft of torque.

The 2007 standard engine specs (which appear the same as the '06) show 140 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque.

So, slightly less torque, and a fair amount less horsepower. In practice, it feels like a standard engine, with plenty of pickup when you need it. One nice thing is that the Hybrid has max torque right off the bat, at 1000rpm, so acceleration from a stop is quite good, and is why it feels like an engine with more HP than it has. The standard engine hits max torque at 6000 rpm.

It's not a speedster, but it doesn't feel slow by any means. The times it feels slow is at the upper end, say 70mph plus...going above that feels slower than a standard engine. Climbing hills hasn't been a problem for me (and I've been on some VERY steep grades in west virginia). Usually, you'll be using 4-5 bars of assist the whole way up. If it's a 10 mile ascent, yeah, you'd be going slow once the battery ran dry, but in my experience, there's enough battery charge to get you up most large hills and mountains, unless you're going up a peak in the rockies. On the way down the other side, you'll completely recharge, so the engine will be ready for the next hill.

Last edited by JordanCS; 10-03-2006 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Time for some fun, since I was just looking things over for a SRI
Standard 06 Civic dyno: http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/ca1920.gif
Hybrid 06 dyno: http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/sr1923.GIF

In both cases, the "standard" is the blue line. The orange represents the results with the CAI (standard) or SRI (hybrid).

Old 10-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well, considering that for FE's sake none of us ever go over 3.5k rpm we prob never use more than 80 hp. That 110 hp is up by redline.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JordanCS
Well, the official Honda specifications have it at 110 hp and 123 lb-ft of torque.

The 2007 standard engine specs (which appear the same as the '06) show 140 hp and 128 lb-ft of torque.

So, slightly less torque, and a fair amount less horsepower. In practice, it feels like a standard engine, with plenty of pickup when you need it. One nice thing is that the Hybrid has max torque right off the bat, at 1000rpm, so acceleration from a stop is quite good, and is why it feels like an engine with more HP than it has. The standard engine hits max torque at 6000 rpm.

It's not a speedster, but it doesn't feel slow by any means. The times it feels slow is at the upper end, say 70mph plus...going above that feels slower than a standard engine.
I think that the above is an accurate assesment. Driving a regular Civic EX after 7,000 miles of hybrid driving feels very similar to my hybrid. But that is because I now drive with very moderate acceleration characteristics. Full throttle in the Hybrid and then the EX (non-hybrid) proves to me that only in the upper reaches of the power band will the difference in horsepower show up; I would say above 4500 rpm the EX livens up quite a bit. A further extension of that shows in the Civic Si motor... drive an EX manual back to back with an Si... WOW! it's like night and day above 5,000 RPM. The EX seems downright anemic after driving the Si! Power does tend to corrupt...

Old 10-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast

Could someone explain to me in more detail the dyno test?

What civic model has by specification 113 hp/111 torque?

Why the standard for the hybrid is 85 hp/98 torque? Honda gives 110/123.

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Time for some fun, since I was just looking things over for a SRI
Standard 06 Civic dyno: http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/ca1920.gif
Hybrid 06 dyno: http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/sr1923.GIF

In both cases, the "standard" is the blue line. The orange represents the results with the CAI (standard) or SRI (hybrid).

Old 10-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eugene
Could someone explain to me in more detail the dyno test?

What civic model has by specification 113 hp/111 torque?

Why the standard for the hybrid is 85 hp/98 torque? Honda gives 110/123.
Manufacturers list hp/tq measured at the crank. Dynos measure hp/tq at the wheels. There is about a 15-20% parasitic loss through the drivetrain.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

According to Honda, the gas engine is good for 93hp @ 6000rpm and 89lb-ft. @ 4500rpm. The IMA motor puts out 20hp@2000rpm and 76 lb-ft. from 0-1160rpm. The combined figure is 110hp @ 6000rpm and 123 lb-ft@1000-2500rpm.

The others get 140hp@6300rpm and 128lb-ft@4300rpm.

The thing to remember is that we've got two different-shaped curves: one for the ICE and one for the IMA, and the shapes are very different. The ICE produces its maximum power at speeds where the IMA's power is dropping off. So the combined curve gives us that maximum of 110hp.

The really cool part is that the IMA's producing most of its torque at lower RPM's, so our low-end acceleration is better than you'd expect.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast

Does anyone knows if the hybrid civic is the same in US and Europe?

www.honda.co.uk gives 115 hp/6000 and 166/4600 lb-ft

I believe they are the same models, but the standards on how to measure HP and torque are different.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eugene
www.honda.co.uk gives 115 hp/6000 and 166/4600 lb-ft

I believe they are the same models, but the standards on how to measure HP and torque are different.
I agree with your point of view. The vehicle and engine(s) are indentical. Just a different manner of assessing the output.

Quick Reply: Real Horse Power and Torque

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands