HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

real spare tire in HCHII?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Rookie Enthusiast
Default real spare tire in HCHII?

has anyone found a way to fit a real spare tire (not the donut) into the trunk wheel well of an HCHII? My dealer told me that one would fit when I bought my '08, but I find that there is not quite enough clearance; the gray bracket (restraining the rear seat?) prevents the full-sized spare from sitting properly in the space. I can 'prop' the spare at a slight angle on the bracket, but it makes for an uneven trunk space.

I'm assuming that the grey restraining bracket should not be 'modified'-- has anyone come up with an alternative method?

thanks, Philip

Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: real spare tire in HCHII?

My dealer told me the opposite. He said a real wheel would not fit and it would also cost a bundle even if he could cram one in there.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Rookie Enthusiast

hmm, well I bought a non-OEM wheel and spare tire from my friendly neighborhood tire store (in anticipation of replacing the Dunlops with same) and it almost fits but not quite; have to leave the trunk wheel well cover off. Ugly but effective for going on trips into the hinterlands, but I was hoping there might be a better solution.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

My solution was relatively simple.

I bought four wheels (incl. center cap) with Dunlops mounted on eBay. They were takeoffs from an 08 - the guy put aftermarket wheels and tires on his HCHII. I guess mother Honda's choices were "cool" enough for him. 'Twas a VERY good deal - about $500 on my doorstep. So, roughly, I got four free wheels for the price of the four Dunlops and mounting and balancing.

Then, I got a "seasonal tire tote w/felt" (in essence a fabric sleeve) from Tire Rack, put one of the tires in it, and put it behind the passenger seat when I'll be away and want to have a "real" spare with me. Works great. Around home, the donut is fine.

And, since I'm nearing needing to replace my 06 OE tires, I'll simply jack it up, unbolt the current set, rebolt the "take off" set, and go on my merry way. No muss, no fuss, no waiting, and a heck of a good deal.

It did take me about 6 months of keeping an eye on eBay to find the "deal".

Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Rookie Enthusiast

thanks, that's a reasonable idea--except when I'm hauling passengers. But I like the idea of the tire tote.

P

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KevinsTop
My dealer told me the opposite. He said a real wheel would not fit and it would also cost a bundle even if he could cram one in there.
You believe what your dealer tells you? I would be careful with that tendency.

I'll pop off one of my wheels tomorrow and see if it fits. Bump the thread if I forget.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

dumb question... but why carry a full spare?

Old 07-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Rookie Enthusiast

well, I agree that around town, it's not necessary (and adds extra weight); but occasionally I drive up forest roads (or into the 'Oregon outback') where a donut might not get me home. In the 'for what it's worth' department!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nearly every car that I have owned (except the Japanese ones) has had a full-size spare. The bigger the spare, the better. Who knows when you can get to a tire shop, especially if you are on a road trip. A temp spare is better than nothing.

I won't buy any car that does not have a spare at all (new BMW's, for instance). That's just stupid.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got a BMW Z3 M it doesn't have a spare at all not even a dounut. but it does come with fix a flat and a air commpresser. So I don't feal bad about a dounut in my 2008 I have been thinking about the Z3 system to save weight. since weight = MPG

Quick Reply: real spare tire in HCHII?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands