HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Regen Braking HCH-II

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 PM
The Devil's in the detail
Default Regen Braking HCH-II

Just a really quick question.

In reference to a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid.

I read in another thread that the regen braking is performed by THE BRAKES.

Is this correct?

I was under the impression that the regen braking (effect) was done by the electronics putting the electric motor into power generation mode...thus causing a braking effect.

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Regen Braking HCH-II

You are correct. Regen slows you down LIKE brakes but has nothing to do with friction brakes.

Last edited by lakedude; 06-25-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:55 PM

Regen should start to work automatically on some downhills and when you take your foot off the gas to slow down. Hitting the brake pedal usually causes an INCREASE in the level of regen so you can get more regen by hitting the brakes lightly. The harder you push the brakes the higher the percentage of stopping power from the friction brakes.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks Lakedude.

I thought so...

BTW. As you can see I get about 44mpg, and you get over 60mpg.

This is very confusing...let me explain.

In Australia a gallon has about 4.5 litres in it, but in the U.S the gallon has about 3.7 litres.

Now, my FE Gauge reads in l/100klm so I need to do some converting to put the data into the Green Hybrid data base.

But here it converts to arount 5.5 l/100klm = 51.2 mpg.

Which is not that bad...but in the forum it spits out 44mpg

...and you get over 60

What the hell is going on?

Yes...I do a lot of city/freeway driving in congested conditions...but, I'm very careful. You know, very gentle on the gas, look out for red lights ahead etc.

The best I have ever seen on the gauge was 4.4 l/100klm - flat road no traffic over about 30klm's. I simply can't get to...er...let me figure this out backwards -

60mpg = 96klm on ......................3.92 l/100klm's!!!!!!!

What the hell are you doing to get that..........pushing it!!!!!

I need help here!

Last edited by Aussie; 06-25-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:42 PM

Lakedude...any comments

Old 06-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie

What the hell are you doing to get that..........pushing it!!!!!
Yes.

I pushed 0.0056 percent of this tank.

Please do not be disapointed if you can't hit numbers like this. Hypermiling is my big hobby and I have many unfair advantages, plus I go to extremes that other would (and have) deem crazy.

The list of techniques and advantages:

Night shift job / qreatly reduced traffic
Mostly roads with 40 mph speed limit or roads I'll drive that speed anyway
NO AC even on super hot days
No short side trips (like for lunch or to the bank or store), daily commute only
I drive another car if the weather is bad
I drive another car if I want to go fast
DWL
some P&G
DwoB
high pressure in tires
no warmup in winter
no heat in winter
garage kept
FAS FAS and more FAS
keep up momentum
time lights so you don't gotta stop
getting out and pushing a few feet (at work after stopping for the security gate)
parking nose out in parking lots

Old 06-25-2006, 05:54 PM

If you think I'm bad check the database, I'm only third. RJ gets 70 average.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Aussie, I know you've read a lot of the posts on how to attain better mileage, but just a couple of suggestions. If you haven't yet, be sure to read Hot Georgia's article in the Learn section. Also, it is important in the HCHII to make sure you're not using the A/C. Rule of thumb, if the words A/C OFF are not displayed, do not assume that you are not using the A/C.

If you're getting 51.2 mpg, you're doing a good job and better than most! Unlike we here in the northern hemisphere, many of us bought our HCHII's either part way through winter or into spring. You've just gone through fall, and are now into winter, right? So what type of temperatures do you see there? Are you in the section of Australia that has a Mediterranian climate, or do you see pretty cold weather? You already know that cold weather kills mileage...

Old 06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In regards to the braking, the Car Talk guys have this misleading cartoon in their hybrid section:

On the subject of braking and tips for improved FE, I often shift into second (S) when I need to slow down before a stop or turn. This results in a lot more regeneration than just using the brakes. Just remember to shift back to drive (D) before you stop so you can get the auto stop.

I almost did a lakedude push today. I needed to get my car out of the garage to wash it. It would have been downhill, but I have a pillar on the driver's side and a tight squeeze at the garage door that would have made quite difficult. I've got a good tank going and I hated to start it up to back up 15 feet. (Oh well!) I just passed 600 miles and my dash is reading 60.1mpg. I just went down to two bars on the fuel gauge.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:28 PM

Thanks to everyone.

It's amazing really, I wouldn't know any of you from Adam...yet I feel I do! These forums are a great way to talk to people with similar interests.

If you're ever down our way drop in for a while. I'm sure we could find another tent for you to sleep in!

A couple of points about the last few posts.

Remember that 52mpg is based on 4.45 litres per gallon!

It's winter in Melbourne at the moment so that means when I leave home at 7:30am for work, it's about 7 degrees C (44.6 F). In the summer we can easily hit 105 degrees F, but with little humidity.

I live on a farm (ranch) in the country outskirts of Melbourne (about 70 miles out), so the start of my trip in is all country roads and freeways at about 60mph (10 miles or so). Then it gets nasty. Bumper to bumper freeway - 10mph(10 miles), then stop and go city(8 miles). About 28 miles one way. Same stuff on the way home.

I have not used the AC yet, only the heater on the lowest fan setting. I have noticed that when you turn the fan on, the AC comes on too - even though it doesn't say so anywhere! A press of the AC button then shows "AC Off".

There is one thing which I feel might affect everyone.

For the first 2-3 miles (morning & night), I'm driving uphill! That means the car is cold and it will use the gas motor with auto choke no doubt, so it's probably operating the least efficiently!

Also, drivers on Australian freeways are really nuts. It's like a wave...speed up to catch up to the bunch in front of you....stop....speed up to catch up with the bunch in front...stop - and so on. No chance in hell of maintaining a steady slow speed.

The HCH-II is rated at 4.6 l/100klm combined city/highway driving, which equals 61mpg in Australia gallons.

I do use the "S" trick, but more for slowing down the car on the freeway in heavy traffic to save the brakes.

Thanks again for all the input everyone...have a nice day

Quick Reply: Regen Braking HCH-II

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands