HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Road Noise

Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Hybrid Owner
Default Road Noise

Last edited by caholla; 11-23-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Road Noise

I notice much more noise when I run with 44 lbs. in my tires. I may try your insulation ID. Thanks, H

Old 02-11-2008, 07:59 PM

WOW! I was just researching getting a sound deadening system like dynamat, but it was too expensive. How much did the carpet insulation from home depot run?
I may go a little further than you did and put it under the rear seat, under the carpet, in the doors, and against the firewall too. (that is, if I have time to do it all) I will post a DIY if I do end up doing it.
Thanks for the great info and idea!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM
HOV lane commuter

That's a terrific idea, caholla. Thanks for the tip!

And hey, if you drop 5 pounds yourself, well then it all balances out! ;-)

Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

Hondas have always been known to be a bit on the loud side when it comes to road noise. It was even somewhat loud on my 2004 Acura TL but the HCH is definitely much louder and has been bugging me some. I was thinking about trying one of those spray liners in a can which I heard works pretty well. I'll give this cheaper and less messy alternative a shot first.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:54 PM

I bought 54 sq feet for 27.93 USD. I covered practically my entire trunk and the noise was noticably lower. I then took off the rear seat (suprisingly easy to do), and found that there is nothing between the wheel well and the rear seat (I could see the garage floor through the hole that the seat bolts into). I put some padding there as well, and that made it so much quieter. I also put some underneath the rear floor. I have not gotten to the front of the car yet. I have pics and will post them when I have time. (Hopefully later today)

Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM

AS WITH ALL MODS, YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I AM NOT CLAIMING RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE (TO YOU, YOUR PROPERTY, OR OTHERS) THAT OCCURS DUE TO THIS!!
Okay. Here are some pics of what I did:
I removed all of the trunk lining and the spare tire.
I covered the whole spare tire compartment in foam.

I also covered the wheel wells with one layer, then stuffed the extra space above them with more foam. I covered the space between the trunk and the rear firewall that was not being insulated by the battery. (did that on both sides, only one is pictured)

BE SURE TO LEAVE PLENTY OF ROOM FOR VENTILATION OF THE BATTERY!!!
Personally, I just made sure there was room between the battery exhaust and the flaps that let the exhaust out of the trunk. If not properly installed, it is possible that this insulation can cause your battery to heat up and have it's life lowered (and possibly void the warranty)! Be careful!

Next I took off the back seat. It is very easy to do.
1. Unscrew the 10mm bolt between the rear right (when sitting in driver seat) seat and the rear center seat. It is between the seat cushion and the seatback, where the two seatbelt buckles come out.
2. Now that you have removed the only screw holding the bottom cushion in, pull up on the front, to release two clips (each under the side passenger seats). The entire seat bottom comes out quite easily.
3. To remove the back, there are two 10mm screws on either far side of the seat back (on the bottom, parallel to the first). There is also 1 10mm screw towards the center of the seatback (parallel to the other two)
4. Now the hardest part... Once you have removed all of the screws, the seatback is ready to come out. Move all the seatbelts around the sides of the seatback, so it can come out. Lift up, with quite a bit of force. The seat should release. Pull back on the seat and it will come out.
Note: I did this by myself, but it would definetley help to have two or three people. Please be careful when doing this!!!
Please be careful not to:
1. Hurt your back trying to release the seatback.
2. Scratch yourself of the car with the sharp metal parts on the seat.
3. Mess with the battery or any IMA components while they are exposed. (they are not really exposed, but if you do have access to them w/o the seat removed)
Please remember to install the seat correctly, otherwise you are posing a danger to you and your passengers.

I forgot to take pics of this, but you can see where that the seat screws into the rear wheel wells. I covered them in foam and it greatly reduced the noise.

While you have your seat off...
Lift up the interior trim on either side of the rear seat (next to the door). (be careful not to break any clips) This will allow you to peel up the carpet and slide some foam under the rear floor. This is what size I used:

I put it under the carpet, but I just put it on top to show the size.

Everything goes back on in the reverse order you installed it. Once all the covers are on in the trunk, the only way to see the sound deadening is to lift up the spare tire cover. It is not visible/noticable at ALL in the interior cabin. (except for the fact that it's much quieter )

For about $30, this is definitely worth it. I will post more pics if/when I get to the front of the car.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Energy Independence

Cool.
Any idea which area (trunk, rear floorboard, rear seat) had the most quieting effect?
My guess would be that rear seat.
The spare tire compartment piece is so simple we all should probably do at least that much!

Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 PM

I didn't put a whole lot behind the seat, but I think that the place with the greatest impact would be the wheel wells. Unfortunately to access these you have to go via the trunk AND the rear seat. It really does make a difference though.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

How did you secure the padding to the wheel well? Double sided carpet tape? Velcro tabs? Or nothing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Noise

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands