HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Simultaneous EPS and Oxygen sensor failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down Simultaneous EPS and Oxygen sensor failure

I own a 2006 Civic Hybrid which has provided trouble-free performance since I purchased it in May 2006. Unfortunately, its perfect record came to a screeching halt this past Monday. I was about to leave for work when the Malfunction Indicator (aka Check Engine) and EPS Indicator lamps both illuminated simultaneously. I put the car in reverse to attempt navigation out of my driveway and I couldn't turn the wheel. The car had to be towed to the dealer.

I was informed that the oxygen sensor and EPS control unit had both failed, but that the failures were independent of one another. The oxygen sensor (a $590 part) was covered by the stringent emissions warranty; however, the EPS control unit (a $965 part) was not covered because my vehicle has more than 36k miles. The tech at Honda said that they had never seen the EPS control unit fail on any Honda. I am in the process of a reimbursement request through American Honda Co. They said that they will review my case and consider a partial reimbursement of the $965.

Anyone have a similar failure with their Civic? Seems like a catastophic failure for such a young car.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Resident ICE Wizard
Default Re: Simultaneous EPS and Oxygen sensor failure

I've never heard that before. I have a 2006, and now I'm paranoid about this.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had my 1st check engine light appear. I tried plugging in a OBD2 scanner from autozone and murray's and niether of them worked. Does anyone know why it doesnt work???

So I brought my 06 HCH into the dealer for an oil change yesterday and told them about the check engine light. (Dealer charges 80 bucks to scan the CEL code) Of course the light goes on after 36,000. My odometer had around 37,200

I told them about Honda's lawsuit on the odometer reading which actually gives me 37,800 or 3 years. The rep verified that my VIN number was part of the lawsuit and fixed CEL with no charge since it was still under warranty. He said the oxygen sensor failed and had to be replaced. That would have costed me $422 !!! If i wasn't an informed consumer, the dealer would have charged me for the repair. I hate it when everyone is out to get your money.

I did not notice any decrease in MPG since the light went on over the weekend.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Energy Independence

Dealers
This is so typical.
Maybe, just maybe, they would've discovered this anyway, as part of the work on your car. Then again...

Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

isn't the o2 sensor under warranty

Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

From what i'v researched online, the o2 sensor is only part of the 3yr-36,000 mile warranty. One might be able to argue that it is part of the emissions warranty. Anyhow, I didnt have to pay anything.

anyone know why the odbii scanner didnt work on my hybrid?

Originally Posted by Superjay
isn't the o2 sensor under warranty

Old 02-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Energy Independence

OBDII Scanner.
I had a check engine light come on once briefly (March 2008), and I took it to Autozone. It worked. It wasn't the best description for the issue, but it DID give a code. The dealer's scanner gave much better diagnostics, but the problem disappeared within another few minutes and has never returned. And, no, Honda (nor Autozone) reset it. It just went away.
Not sure what the issue was with your car or the scanners.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks steve

Yeah, i plugged it in and when it said waiting for connection i turned the key to ON. After that didnt work. I took the key out and when it said waiting for connection, i turned on the engine. nothing.

I was even considering buying a 60-80 dollar odbii scanner, but trying 2 of them that didnt work, I'll save my money.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

The oxygen sensor is covered by the emissions warranty, which is 10 year / 150K in certain states, and certainly greater than 3/36K.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast

Just had a front oxygen sensor failure on my 2006 at 87000 miles last night. I went to Autozone this morning, and they plugged in their scanner and the diagnosis came right up.
The part was $375 special order at Autozone! Does anyone know the emissions warranty for a car in MI? I don't know if I qualify for OEM warranty or if I should be looking around for the part.

Quick Reply: Simultaneous EPS and Oxygen sensor failure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands