Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Simultaneous EPS and Oxygen sensor failure

Take it in and find out! It should be covered! H

Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Energy Independence

I, too, had an O2 sensor go out recently. I'm well over the 36K warranty (47K), but have a HondaCare extended warranty. That's what they said they covered it under, not the emissions warranty. I suspect the emissions warranty should cover it, though. The sensor itself had a cost of $378.89, and I was told that this was the "warranty cost". Had it been MY cost, it would've been closer to $500. Plus labor.
At any rate, 47K is WAY too soon for this to be occurring. I'm now glad I bought the HondaCare extended warranty (8yr/120K/$0 deductible). I have a feeling it will more than pay for itself, if it hasn't already. I've now seen way too many issues with enough of us to be without it.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 AM

By any chance are you using gas additives for injector cleaning or fuel injection cleaners? I under-stand o2 sensors and cats. don't like that stuff? H

Old 03-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
By any chance are you using gas additives for injector cleaning or fuel injection cleaners? I under-stand o2 sensors and cats. don't like that stuff? H
No, i've never used any additives.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by vincep5
No, i've never used any additives.
Me neither.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast

My check engine light came on at 77,000 miles and threw the code for the O2 sensor failure. I've done some more research on this, and my information states that this sensor is not part of any 10 yr/150,000 mi warranty or an 8 yr/80,000 mi warranty. It is only covered in the original 3 yr/36,000 mi warranty (unless you get an extension with HondaCare). If you have this problem and you demand it be fixed for free under an emissions warranty, you better hope the dealer doesn't know the law very well.

The 02 Sensor, while part of the Emissions system on your Civic, is not considered to be a Specified Major Emissions Control Component under Federal Emissions Regulations, and therefore not eligible for the 8 yr/80,000 mi warranty that these parts have:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).

All other emissions parts are covered by a federally mandated 2 yr/24,000 mi warranty. That means that Honda originally increased the mandated warranty of your Civic's O2 sensor by 1 yr/12,000 mi from what the U.S. government had mandated.

You may be asking, "But what about my state's regulations?"

Well, there are a few (very few) states that would increase the life of the federally mandated warranty past even Honda's warranty life in terms of mileage, but not years, and it is difficult for me to find the necessary information to outline it all here. California, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New York are some of the states who would bump the warranty up to 3 yr/50,000 mi. You are responsible for knowing the consumer information for your state.

Since a few people here, myself included, have not had a problem until after 50,000 mi, I would venture to say this is something of an epidemic that will end up costing most affected owners right around $400-$600. I waited until I got my tax refund, then got the control arms and O2 sensor replaced the same day. With parts and labor, it was $416. Best of luck to the rest of you, and here's the link to the EPA law that covers the federal warranty information.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM

I have my 2006 HCH2 in for upper control arm assessment today. Here in Canada they check to see if new ones are required first. I wonder if that corn gas is affecting the 02 sensors? I have been told to keep away from any gas additives in the Honda products, for what its worth! Do you notice any change since the upper control arm installation? Is it still noisy? Hal

Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

The techs at my dealer replaced the upper control arms because:

1. It had not yet been done according to the specs of TSB 08-001.
2. My rear tires were showing signs of "noticeable cupping."

Since having them replaced, I also got 4 new Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires. My ride has gotten considerably softer, smoother, and quieter since. I only put 87 octane unleaded in my car, and the state legislature of Missouri has suspended the increase of ethanol for 2009 because it would hurt our economical state too much in the short-term, so I'm guessing there isn't much of an additive issue with my HCH II.