HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

SoCal dealers that'll replace IMA battery under warranty w/o IMA light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default SoCal dealers that'll replace IMA battery under warranty w/o IMA light on

I have a 2007 Civic Hybrid with 153k miles. I am the original owner and the car has only been serviced at the dealer since day 1. The IMA battery warranty in California is now 11 years / 162k miles so it's still under warranty. Unfortunately, the car received the service bulletin which pretty much made it impossible for the IMA light to go on. I have found the following threads on this forum where the batteries have been replaced under warranty w/o the IMA or Check Engine light going on.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...-67k-mi-28160/

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...a-light-28539/

My car has been recalibrating several times on a daily and I have video recorded several of my daily commutes where I can point out the recalibrations.

I called two Los Angeles area dealers who simply told me that they won't replace the battery w/o the IMA light going and neither were interested in seeing my videos. One dealer said they can run a diagnostic for $70 which will be refunded only if it fails, but he said that it won't fail b/c the IMA light isn't on so I'd basically be wasting my money. Both dealers suggested that I call Honda directly with my problem. I understand that some dealers are much better than others and the two people in the links above are proof that some people have received battery replacements under warranty w/o the IMA light.

QUESTIONS:
1. Have anybody here in Los Angeles or Orange County successfully had an IMA battery replaced under warranty without the IMA or Check Engine light going on? If so, please post or private message me the dealer and service advisor name.
2. Does anybody have recommendations for a SoCal dealer and service advisor who is good with hybrids?
3. Please post any additional tips you may have as I would like to get my battery replaced under warranty before the car hits 162k miles and the two dealers I spoke w/ said they can't do anything since the IMA light isn't on.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SoCal dealers that'll replace IMA battery under warranty w/o IMA light on

If you want to strain it until it fails:

1) use the **** out of the A/C - lowest temp setting always on fresh air, not recirc.
2) Refuse to allow it to regen during braking by popping it into neutral.
3) apply light throttle and drag the brake while allowing the car to creep at low speed. This should force assist and drain battery. It can be hard on the CVT start clutch if you do it too often.

If you want to force a failure via compromised ethics, after bleeding it down with the above method 3), access the pack by removing the IPU lid. Measure the tap voltages:

Select the lowest voltage one and short it with a 1000 Ohm, .25W resistor for enough days to get the voltage to drop by 1.2V.

Upon starting, IMA light will immediately come on, and you can drive straight to the dealership.

Steve

Old 05-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: SoCal dealers that'll replace IMA battery under warranty w/o IMA light on

Update: I'm at the Honda dealer right now. Though the IMA light was not on, they did find the following fault code was found:

Confirmed DTCs (Permanent):
P1435 - Charge/Discharge Balance Malfunction

Pending DTCs (Temporary):
No DTC was found

They said they'll need to take another hour to troubleshoot this fault code. I'm patiently waiting at the dealer hoping for battery replacement. How do my chances look? Any info I should gather in my favor over the next hour?

Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 PM

Are they replacing the pack?

Old 06-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Are they replacing the pack?
Yes, pack has been replaced. When I brought my car in, the service advisor told me the battery needs to hold 19% charge or less for a replacement. The pack was tested to hold 16% charge and a warranty replacement was approved by Honda. The dealer ordered the battery pack and I brought the car in later for the replacement. The car drives much better with the new IMA battery.

The work was done at Norm Reeves Honda Cerritos and I an completely satisfied with the outcome.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 PM

Wow. That's great. I've asked the dealer to test the capacity, and they say they can't.

Good for you!

Steve

Old 07-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

My 06 with 60K+ miles has had the IMA batteries replaced twice by the dealer where I bought it. Neither time was there any light or indication but there was frequent regen and lack of power. On each occasion the first response was no fault was found. I insisted that there was a safety issue as the IMA was often not functioning when needed to pass or merge. Both times after the IMA battery capacity was checked it was found to be below a certain limit, the last time I believe they said 10% and it was replaced.

I have dealt with Avery Greene Honda in Vallejo CA for many year and always found them to be honest and supportive not only with the Civic but also with an Accord that had warranty issues.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:17 PM

I'd love to see how they determine capacity. Every time I ask them, they say it's not possible.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith
I'd love to see how they determine capacity. Every time I ask them, they say it's not possible.
I'll answer my own question now that I have HDS...

HDS reports a capacity value. Dealers will swear up and down that they can't give you that number.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:53 PM
ptb
Enthusiast

my 11yr/162k warranty expires on 12/20/18 -----. 39 days away from today.
tested @dealer today indicates 26% (IMA Battery Usable Capacity)
I am told the tested value needs 19% or lower for approval to be replaced.?
what to do

Quick Reply: SoCal dealers that'll replace IMA battery under warranty w/o IMA light on

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands