HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Some people have no respect for other's property

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:54 PM
'Tis but a scratch!
Unhappy Some people have no respect for other's property

Some people have no respect for other people's property. Last week at work someone laid a lit cigarette on my rear bumper just under the license plate. Of course, it now has a burn all the way thru the paint to the plastic. I had noticed since we bought the new car a group of people congregate behind it at break time, but I didn't think much of it. Since that area of the parking lot gets the best cell phone reception. Then Thursday I was just spraying the pollen and dust off the car and happened to notice it. I was floored, It just seems like common sense to me that you would NEVER put a lit cigarette on someone's car.

Needless to say I am going to be parking on the other side of the building from now own. I have scheduled a service appointment with the Honda dealer, I just hope that they will be able to fix it. And since I have 4100 miles on the car I went ahead and scheduled the tire rotation at the same time.

It just kills me that someone would be so disrespectful as that!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Some people have no respect for other's property

Originally Posted by dcvandiver
Some people have no respect for other people's property. Last week at work someone laid a lit cigarette on my rear bumper just under the license plate. Of course, it now has a burn all the way thru the paint to the plastic. I had noticed since we bought the new car a group of people congregate behind it at break time, but I didn't think much of it. Since that area of the parking lot gets the best cell phone reception. Then Thursday I was just spraying the pollen and dust off the car and happened to notice it. I was floored, It just seems like common sense to me that you would NEVER put a lit cigarette on someone's car.

Needless to say I am going to be parking on the other side of the building from now own. I have scheduled a service appointment with the Honda dealer, I just hope that they will be able to fix it. And since I have 4100 miles on the car I went ahead and scheduled the tire rotation at the same time.

It just kills me that someone would be so disrespectful as that!
Sure you didn't tick someone off? From your description, it sounds more like an act of 'revenge' than simply inconsiderate.

FWIW, as it happened recently, ask your building security people if there are cameras in the area. You may well be able to get the miscreant 'in the act'...

Which should lead to an interesting conversation with the local constabulary...

Old 05-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Get a bottle of touch-up paint. You will need it in the future for nicks now and then. H

Old 05-31-2008, 06:46 PM
'Tis but a scratch!

@Frodo: Unfortunately the building we work in does not have video surveillance. And as far as I know I haven't ticked anyone off.

@Harold: We order a bottle of Touch-up paint but they sent us the wrong color. I'm going to ask the dealer if they have some when we go next Saturday.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcvandiver
@Frodo: Unfortunately the building we work in does not have video surveillance. And as far as I know I haven't ticked anyone off.
Have you notified building management? They could send a memo out to the tenants about the incident or have security do spot checks. It's not just your property that may be in jeopardy. They may even ban smoking from the parking lot.

Get one of those touch-up pens. They're cheap. You probably won't need much paint over the long-run, and these have the combination paint and clear coat (opposite ends of the pen).

Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Great Mileage and Green

You are right, there are alot of people out there who do not care, nor have any thought nor consideration, about other people's property. The scariest part is most of them have a license to drive!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think I would confront the smoking group and guilt it out of them. They can't all be a-holes. Try to find out whose responsible and send them the bill -- and possibly a follow-up small claims court summons.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:47 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

I would pass on the confrontation.This wasn't intentional, just an airheaded who probably saw someone do it in a movie(when bumpers were chrome and metal).
One of life's **** offs.
If you confront,then you will make an enemy. Smokers feel put upon now-pointless to make it worse.
Touch up paint is the way to go.
Charlie

Last edited by phoebeisis; 06-03-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sigh....some people are totally inconsiderate. Do exercise real love towrd this person, meditate and take some comfort in knowing that the miscreant will die a slow, agonizing death from lung cancer or emphysema. Smoking has a 50% rate of killing its adherents. The person is treating his or her lungs the way he/she treated your bumper.

Don't even get me started on the narcissists who think it's their right to drive Hummers and similar cars, endangering pedestrians, bicyclists and reasonably-sized cars, and driving up the gasoline prices while they're at it. I do try to focus on the fact they're doing their part to bring us to a world that doesn't have any fossil fuels to mess up the environment.