HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

sunvisor

Old 06-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: sunvisor

My 2008 HCHII is suffering from FVS (Floppy Visor Syndrome), only on the driver's side. Nothing looks cracked or damaged (other than part of the sleeve that clips in on the right side, and that sleeve is mostly intact).
Rather than spend $43 (RockAuto price) for a replacement, I'm wondering if there might be some simple fix, e.g., squirting in something that is the opposite of lubricant. Anyone have an idea?

Old 05-13-2018, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chkuttner
My 2008 HCHII is suffering from FVS (Floppy Visor Syndrome), only on the driver's side. Nothing looks cracked or damaged (other than part of the sleeve that clips in on the right side, and that sleeve is mostly intact).
Rather than spend $43 (RockAuto price) for a replacement, I'm wondering if there might be some simple fix, e.g., squirting in something that is the opposite of lubricant. Anyone have an idea?
I figured I could share what I did. I tried squirting in a bit of Superglue where the rod meets the plastic, and it may have made it a little less loose. Finally, my wife let me have some of her craft Velcro, which is sticky on the back of each piece. I stuck the pieces together, stuck one to the visor, then lifted it up to the headliner for placement.

The adhesive did OK on the plastic, not so well on the fabric, but Superglue (ACC) did the job of holding the headliner piece. Seems to be working great so far!

Old 07-26-2018, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Incredibly enough, Honda continues to sell the original defective visors! If you look for replacements you'll find two different choices, the more expensive one is the new design. Unfortunately, when you get a 'goodwill' replacement at the dealer, they will more than likely be the defective ones.

As you noted, the bad design is glued together and heat makes the glue joint fail. Ask me how I know ... here in Texas we get lots of nice summer days over 100 degrees with tons of sunshine!

Old 07-26-2018, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Update: Superglued Velcro has stayed on even on hot summer days. Yay!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

I'd be afraid of putting superglue on the rod in case you permanently fuse it to the plastic and it doesn't open at all. Glad you got it to work!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

To clarify: I glued a piece of Velcro to the bottom edge of the visor, facing me as the visor was down. I hooked its mating piece to it, put the superglue on the back of this, and stuck the whole thing to the cloth liner "ceiling" over my head.

So my visor is always either down or all the way up against the top. But it works...!

Old 07-26-2018, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

Ah I see, that makes more sense! Very innovative solution