HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Synthetic Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Synthetic Anyone?

I just yesterday traded up from a 2005 (gas) Honda Civic to a brand new 2008 Civic Hybrid, color Galaxy Gray Metalic. The doggone dealer tacked on a $2K "market adjustment fee" which irked me--and drove up the price--but they have us over a barrel, don't they?

I've always been a fan of synthetic oil, believing that it reduces enegine friction and delivers slightly better gas mileage.

What do you guys think? I see the new hybrid uses a super-light 0W20 oil. Should I put synthetic in when it's time to replace?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: Synthetic Anyone?

Boy how times have changed. Just last year, these cars were being discounted $2000.

To answer your question, yes move to synthetic after the first fill, and be sure to replace the filter at the first fill. Synthetic will easily last 10K miles or more with no problems.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong (hasn't happened yet, but there is always a first), but the owner's manual does not specify the type, only the weight of oil.

Yes, I realize the "synthetic versus dino" debate has gone on longer than the one regarding creationism.

My opinion: Synthetic does not have any proven benefits to justify the cost. Most "evidence" you will see is purely anecdotal, just as you state in your first post that you "believe" that synthetic has advantages.

It is a bit different currently since oil prices have gone up so much, that the difference between "regular" and synthetic has narrowed, versus the 200-300% price difference in the past.

I am NOT a fan of prolonged oil use, and will not ever keep the same oil - no matter what kind it is - in my engines for 10000 miles. I will be doing my second oil change next weekend at (gasp) 5000 miles, along with tire rotation.

No, I am not contradicting myself by using the manual for oil type, and seeming going against it regarding duration. With oil changes, the more frequent, the better. If I advocated longer intervals, then that would be contradictory.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

It is unfortunate that your oil use is so wasteful and inefficient. Not only are you wasting your money, but you are also wasting a limited resource. The "old School" change interval might have been valid in the last century, but not today.

I routinely use synthetic lubricants in cars for between 10 and 15K miles with no harm whatsoever. At each change, I have the oil tested to insure that is all is well, and with over 200,000 trouble-free miles in 3 cars, I find that not only is it good for the environment, but is also good for the pocketbook.

The Civic has an change interval of about 10K miles. Other cars I have the interval is 15K and higher. It just makes no sense today to change your oil at shorter intervals. Just like you would not throw away a half used roll of toilet paper, don't throw away a half used crankcase of oil.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast

Today's oils have lots of detergents. Pour some on your driveway, and a brief rain and it is gone. Change the oil too often, and seals, valves, etc. will not last as long as they should. Notice that your service manual says nothing about mileage for services as the engine has sensors that let it know what needs to be done. I'll use synthetic mobil 1, do what the dash codes tell me, and will easily get several hundred thousand miles outta my honda. I find myself stunned at the people who think they are smarter than the engineers and manufacturers who have millions and millions of miles of experience in areas such as these. Good luck when you start losing compression and your gas mileage goes in the tank.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

IMO, I'd use synthetic. In my case, I like to do my own oil changes and use M1. It's about the same cost per qt as the Honda 0W-20 that isn't full synthetic. I usually change it around 8-10K and go by the OLM. BTW, the oil looks like a dark golden brown when it comes out.

Peace,
Paul

Old 08-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

At first I thought I saw a bump in MPG after chaning to synthetic, but it seems to have normalized again to levels similar to last summer. I will keep using it though--it's easier to get than Honda 0-20w since my dealership is on the other side of town.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'll never understand people who buy a hybrid car and then change the oil 2-3 times more frequently than the manufacturer of the car (the manufacturer! I'm not even talking about third party sources of information here) recommends. It shows a pretty clear lack of concern for the environment, sustainability, or frugality, so I'm not sure why such a person would choose a hybrid vehicle.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast

Congrats on the new car! Too bad about the mark-up fee but I hear ya! Toyota Prius dealer wanted $7,000 over msrp so I went with HCHII instead!

I think it comes down to educating yourself as to how your car operates and why you need to change oil less frequently. Most older gas vehicles need oil changed more often when not using synthetic oil. Places like Jiffy-Lube and other quick change oil places recommend changing oil every 3,000 miles. Instead, owners need to read the owners manuals of their newer vehicles and better educate themselves with newer technology like hybrid cars...

HBJ

Last edited by Hybrid Bob J; 08-21-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

If i'm not mistaken, Honda 0W20 may be Mobil1. At he dealer, 0W30 is $3 per qt and the 0W20 is $9 per qt. The only other 0W20 I have been able to find on auto parts shelves is Mobil1. Other than the weight, I cannot imagine any other difference that would cost $6 per qt more. I believe that Mobil makes a lot of other manufacturers oils including Honda and Toyota

Quick Reply: Synthetic Anyone?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands