HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Test drove Ford Fusion Hybrid today....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Test drove Ford Fusion Hybrid today....

Folks,

I am still loyal to my 2007 HCH w/NAV, but the wife has always thought the car was too small.

So today I test drove the new 2010 FFH and I have to admit I was pretty blown away.

Aside from this being perhaps the most advanced Hybrid powertrain on the market, the navigation and Sync systems are really awesome. Ride, power and handling are much better (it drives like a real car and not a Hybrid).

Check out some of the reviews -- if this is the future for Detroit cars, I am hopeful.

Dobe

Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Test drove Ford Fusion Hybrid today....

I too have driven one. Its like getting into and driving a regular Fusion.

Having owned a 06 Civic EX Sedan 5MT with Navi and the current 09 HCHII CVT with Navi. It's like night and day between the Civic's spinner.

We looked at the Fords before we got the HCHII. All any dealer had was the fully loaded cars. Had there been any base Fusion's around we would have purchased it over the HCHII. It's what a Accord hybrid should have been.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doberwiler
Folks,

I am still loyal to my 2007 HCH w/NAV, but the wife has always thought the car was too small.

So today I test drove the new 2010 FFH and I have to admit I was pretty blown away.

Aside from this being perhaps the most advanced Hybrid powertrain on the market, the navigation and Sync systems are really awesome. Ride, power and handling are much better (it drives like a real car and not a Hybrid).

Check out some of the reviews -- if this is the future for Detroit cars, I am hopeful.

Dobe
I'm really stoked to hear Ford get kudos on this car. It addresses my main complaint with my MMH--you can actually cruise at 47mph with the ICE off. On the MMH, you can only do 39mph which is just too slow for the 55mph roads I drive usually.

Still, the Ford system is a lot different than the IMA, and I prefer IMA for my type of driving (suburban and highway).

Old 06-03-2009, 06:49 AM

I drove the Mecury Milian version prior to purchasing my Honda Insight and I too have to say Ford did a GREAT job on this car. In order for people to accept alternatives to gas only cars they need to feel as if the car drives like a regular car. It is called Mass Market Appeal.

I actually would have purchased th Ford Fusion or Milian if the price wasn't set so high (for a Ford product).

Old 06-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Enthusiast

I also have taken a 2010 FFH for a test drive and think it is actually better than the 4 cylinder FF. With the CVT it is smoother and I think has better pickup. If they would have had one in a base model I might have seriously considered it and I would be driving my first hybrid vehicle. I'm also having trouble convivcing the wife we should go this route. She's leary of what she consider's the new technology of the hybrid type. As a working class couple near retirement this would be a sizable investment if past warranty things start to fail. Any thoughts on convincing the wife would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinner
What do you mean by this? ie. how does the Civic Hybrid handle like a hybrid, or, how is the Civic Hybrid's handling lesser than "a real car"?
I did not mean to put down the HCII, but let's face it -- between the power and handling (low rolling resistance tires) the HCH drives much different than a regular Civic. The FFH on the other hand uses standard tires a regular suspension and has 0-60 times in range with the standard Fusion.

That's all I meant.

Dobe

Old 06-03-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Campus Dan
I also have taken a 2010 FFH for a test drive and think it is actually better than the 4 cylinder FF. With the CVT it is smoother and I think has better pickup. If they would have had one in a base model I might have seriously considered it and I would be driving my first hybrid vehicle. I'm also having trouble convivcing the wife we should go this route. She's leary of what she consider's the new technology of the hybrid type. As a working class couple near retirement this would be a sizable investment if past warranty things start to fail. Any thoughts on convincing the wife would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan.
The transaxle, HV battery and DC/DC converter are covered for 8yrs/100k miles in most states and 10yrs/150k miles in CARB states. These items are by far the most expensive things to replace, so that should give some peace of mind.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wanted to look at one but the state will not allow me to transfer my alternative fuel plate to it so I didn't bother. The plate allows travel in the HOV lane solo.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

I very seriously considered the FFH before I bought my HCH-II. I bought the HCH-II, and I have not been disappointed with what I got. Here were my own personal tradeoffs:

1. HCH-II with the same features was about $9-10k cheaper (nav/leather). I cannot use the FFH tax credit for AMT reasons.
2. HCH-II has been in the field for years, I would not want to get a first year of any car, no less a hybrid, with new parts which Ford will need to debug. I know about debugging new hardware and software *really* well.
3. My wife reminded me of my past Ford experiences. I am 63, when young I had new fords die on the road at 6-12 mos of age, and had dealers who were not very helpful in fixing them. It was a serious nightmare (and GM was not much better). I would have been willing to let this go, but she got kind of upset, and reminded me of her stalling on the highway with our 2 small children years ago...
4. My wife has a nice large(r) car, I do not need the extra room of the FFH, in fact it is easier to park in brooklyn when I visit my daughter in the HCH-II.

After driving my HCH-II for a month (it replaced an M35X) I find the HCH-II drive to be more than adequate.

On the other hand, I love what Ford is doing with this technology, and after reviewing Fords cars -- starting with the FFH and reviewing the company management, I bought ford shares in April. Happy at that. Go Ford. When we decide to replace my wife's car, I hope to get an FFH, assuming it lives up to its promise.

Mark

Old 06-10-2009, 04:09 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

this thread is amusing, everyone likes Ford's stuff, but bot other makes....heh!

Quick Reply: Test drove Ford Fusion Hybrid today....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands