HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

For those that had rear control arm replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: For those that had rear control arm replaced...

First, I agree with Bob - lower your tire pressure to no more than 32psi. Don't give them an excuse to deny your issue. Then, take her in and complain of the roaring sound in the back.
And, yes, my car is somewhat quieter now, with the new control arms (and the new Michelins help too). I don't think it made a difference in my gas mileage.

This is NOT a recall. That's supposed to be for safety issues. Recalls are very expensive for a manufacturer, and require a letter go out to the last-known owner of all affected vehicles, and often require that the repair be done for free - even if the vehicle is no longer in-warranty (for safety's sake..).

This IS a Service Bulletin. You will NEVER get any of these Service Bulletins mailed to you as an owner. It is in the car manufacturer's best interests (financial) for you to NOT find out about these on your own. In fact, it's a little bit difficult to find a list of Service Bulletins (without paying for a subscription from AllData or similar places).
Almost always, these Service Bulletin items are repaired free under warranty IF you have the issue and either know about the Service Bulletin or the dealership makes the connection with a complaint you're having. They most likely will NOT just "do 'em" as part of a visit for something else. Sometimes, they'll do the IMA and other firmware updates as part of a visit, but not any of the other stuff - especially if it involves part & labor costs from the manufacturer.

According to several folks here that have had this repair done, including myself, this WILL NOT be automatically paid for on Honda's dime outside of the warranty period. Mine was paid for via my HondaCare extended warranty. It is always possible to ask for "goodwill" from Honda, if you are outside the warranty period. Reports are that they are pretty good about it from time to time. IF I would've been required to pay, it was about a $500 deal (parts, labor, new alignment).

Last edited by gumby; 04-30-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It would be nice if we weren't playing this poker game with Honda. If they were upfront with their customers regarding the issue, and let people know if the fix is gratis beyond the warranty period, there would be less of a panic, well, if they took that position.

I think it's a little chancy either way. You might go in with zero problems, and come out with some. Probably not, but I'm not that confident in those guys, from past experience.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Although my tires look pretty good, I have noticed that they do angle in just a bit. I'm afraid the angle will worsen over time. Also, people complain of the loud roaring noise, which I have to say I've always noticed, but thought it was the tires. It will be interesting to hear if it's quieter after the work is done.

Jess

Old 05-03-2009, 06:08 PM

My 2006 is in for this issue now. The control arms where changed two weeks ago but still could not get the alignment too spec. This coming Tue. rear springs are being replace in order to get the camber to spec.They think this will solve the camber issue? When My wife gets home in a week or so I should be able to tell you if the car makes less noise. Got my fingers crossed.It is very difficult to notice tire wear when we rotate the tires every oil change and then some of us install winter rubber on top of that.Hal

Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Energy Independence

I agree, Mendel, but I think all manufacturers play this game. That's one reason it's very good to be a part of a forum or two (like this one ).
Consumers sharing information is our poker hand.
Time & miles ticking away on your warranty, and insider knowledge is the manufacturer's poker hand.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Think I'll just hold tight. It's worked for me in the past

Old 05-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well I went to the dealership today to get tranny fluid and I spoke with the Service Director. When we talked about the loud road noise I was experiencing he grabbed a tech and they came out to the car. Walking out to the car the tech said the tires were most likely "cupped" and this was a very common issue (the road noise) due to "cupped tires". The Service Director and the tech said there was definitely uneven tire wear, though it was minimal. They said the tires showed a "feathering" wear pattern what ever in the heck that means and they were getting "cupped".

The Service Director said to bring the car in next week. The car has 12800 miles and the Service Director said it will be a challenge to get Honda to warranty the tires, though it is quite possible with the proper wording. I have a lot of tread left but I do carry two youg children in the car and their safety is more important me than anything else.

So, I will keep the thread posted with my results next week. On a side note, when I took my wifes CRV in for an oil change last week they gave it a new battery because it didn't pass their charge test. Maybe I can get them to give me a new battery to.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I went in and had the control arms replaced today. I also got the alignment done with the warranty repair. I guess I was to get a "prorated" discount on the rear tires but I ended up calling Honda and got a claim filed.

The rep at Honda stated my mileage (13,497) was well within the limits of their guidelines. My gripe is that they only want to pay a portion of 2 tires. I told the rep I could understand that if I had like 25k miles I could understand only prorating the tires. But c'mon, I think I have a right to ask for 2 new tires and a prorate the other 2 so I can have even wear on all the tires.

Am I asking for to much? I will post my outcome next week when I am called back.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Arrow Re: For those that had rear control arm replaced...

Originally Posted by jayhawker
But c'mon, I think I have a right to ask for 2 new tires and a prorate the other 2 so I can have even wear on all the tires.

Am I asking for to much?
I can understand your desire to have all tires with the same wear level, but it seems to me that Honda has been fair and reasonable. I think you are expecting too much, since you asked.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:15 AM

My car makes less noise again! New springs and upper control arm. Much better handling car and less noise. I am happy! I believe the new springs gave me about 2" more clearance on the rear! I did not measure before but it is higher. Hal

Quick Reply: For those that had rear control arm replaced...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands