HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

For those that had rear control arm replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: For those that had rear control arm replaced...

Well, Honda called the stealership and the stealership called me. I get two new tires only and I need to buy the other 2. Oh well...Now I am shopping for 2 OEM tires since Honda is giving me the other 2. Any suggestions??? The stealership has called twice wanting me to come in to get the tires replaced. They are looking to see what they will sell the other 2 for.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

The dealership just called back and said they want $120 per tire. I told them Tirerack has them on sale for $58 and he said to buy them online.
I told the service guy that they retail for $89 based on Tireracks site. He laughed and said to print the ad, and take it to Discount and they will price match.

I guess I will get new tires here in the next few weeks. I will definitely keep the 2 good ones as the have 7/32's of tread left on them.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the tire on Tirerack differs from the one on the Hybrid? When I went to Discount, they reluctantly honored the ad. Discount has the tire listed for $110 and they were saying the ad wasn't real till they went through the order process. I guess my total at Discount will be $170 for the two tires, mounted and balanced.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had to replace one of mine and I told my service guy about finding the tire elsewhere for a cheaper price. He explained to me that Honda goes to the tire manufacture w/ a specific formula for a tire they want made: the OEM tire. Anything sold outside of Honda is a just a "version" of the OEM made from a slightly different formula. He sold me on that, so I paid the 113.00 for the OEM.
I like knowing that I have the exact same tire as the other 3 on the car and not a "version" of it. That's just me though.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Jess check your tread depth. Then look up the tire on the manufactures site and make sure you did not get what is known as a OEM short.

I had this happen on my 06 Civic EX and with my 07 Mazda 3. The tires that came on the cars were both 2/10's of a inche short on total rubber than what could be boaught at a tire store.

The person at the dealer pretty much lied to you.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Jeff I had a feeling it was a lie, but I couldn't take driving on that god awful donut of a spare anymore. 3 days was enough for me. But, I'll keep that in mind in the future. Thank you.

Jess

Old 05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

All I know is I should have 4 new tires next week. I will most likely head over to Discount next Saturday in the morning and then off to the dealership.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I got the rears replaced yesterday (discount tire) and the fronts replaced today at Honda. Man oh man what a quiet car again. I didn't even realize I was going 70 mph on the way home. With the old tires, it was very very loud and rough. I still want to dynamat the floor, trunk, doors and rear deck sooner or later, but I am happy the car is riding a lot quieter and smoother now.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
That's the other thing I'm wondering: does an issue like this, a possible design defect, become a chargeable repair after the warranty period, or is there no time/mileage limit? It would almost be in Honda's best interest use the latter policy. Otherwise they're deluged with last minute repairs, possibly not necessary.
I took my 2008 HCH with 32000 mi to the dealer to inquire about this issue (after learning about it from this forum) and they said they would replace the arms but as for the tires I am on my own. The cutoff for free replacement is 36000 miles. I made an appointmentor a couple weeks from now and I sure hope I don't go over the limit by then! My rear tires look awful. The noise is unbearable. It got louder so gradually that I didn't really notice it until it dawned on me that my radio is turned up much louder than normal. This is bad. This should be a recall issue. Anyone got any suggestions for a decent replacement for the original Dunlops?

Chuck in WI

Old 06-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I can't understand why they don't replace the tires. Honda is the one putting the wrong size control arms on. And because of that they ruined the tires. Why should it be up to the customer to replace the tires? And why didn't they put something out there and say "Hey, guys, sorry, but we screwed up and put the wrong part on. Bring back you car and we'll take care of everything. Sorry for the inconvenience."

And on top of that, if you don't bring it in before your 3yr/ 36k mile warranty is up, you have to pay for it.

I really like Honda, but this is a pretty bad way of handling this situation.

Ok, I'm done ranting about it.

Quick Reply: For those that had rear control arm replaced...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands