HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tip: check CVT fluid level after service

Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast
Default Tip: check CVT fluid level after service

I just had my car in for service yesterday, and when checking the CVT fluid today I noticed the level was too low. Only the very tip of the stick was wet. The fluid had been changed at the service, but not flushed (several changes). The consensus at this forum seems to be that only one change is needed normally, even if it means that only a part of the fluid is actually changed.

Went to the dealer again and they filled approximately another 0.3 L. Level is now a bit into the HOT area, and at the top of the COLD area, when measured with hot engine. I suspect the transmission never really gets hot at these outdoor temperatures, so it should be fine. I will try to remember checking it some day after highway driving.

So tip of the day is to check the level yourself carefully and according to the manual after service (which is the most likely cause of the level being wrong). I suspect that the mechanic did not drive the car between filling, checking the level and topping up. Mechanics over here (Europe) might be less proficient with automatic gearboxes, so this is perhaps a less common error in US. (Or should I say that US drivers are more proficient so they check the level regularily anyway.)

Feedback from other's experiences on the CVT fluid level after maintenance is appreciated.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tip: check CVT fluid level after service

I've done a couple of CVT fluid changes myself. At both I did just a single fluid change. I do think the concept of doing multiple changes is for flush only, for cases where the wrong fluid has accidentaly been added. With the price of fluid doing multiple changes is very costly, not to mention time consuming. Anyway, regarding fluid level:

Honda's instruction for checking the level is to full warm up the engine (go for a drive), then on level ground turn off the engine and within 60~90 seconds, check the dipstick level: it should be between the lower and upper marks on the hot side.

They also specify the refill capacity after draining as 3.0 US quarts (2.8 liters)

My observations:

1. After drain and refill with the specified 3.0 US quarts, the level was near the top mark on the cold side.

2. After warm-up level check per the above instruction, the level was very low, barely at the bottom tip of the dipstick. At this point I added 300cc, bringing the level close to the bottom mark on the hot side.

2. Leaving the car to sit overnight and checking the fluid in the morning, the fluid level was maybe 3mm above cold full mark, and slightly above low mark on hot side.

I've left it thus, I think it's good. But I believe Honda needs to review their instructions and the dip stick markings: there are some contradictions and confusion. Perhaps just checking the level when the CVT is cold would be best.

Something to note: there is a black dot on the yellow handle of the CVT dipstick. The Service Manual stipulates the dipstick should be inserted so that this dot is towards the front of the vehicle, the Owners Manual make no mention of this. I believe there is some assymetry to the dipstick collar, and it only fits properly in one orientation. Funny the Owners Manual neglects to mention this, and I'm not sure how important it is.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tip: check CVT fluid level after service

Thanks for the info Fellows. H