HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is it too early for B12...3?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Is it too early for B12...3?

Transmission fluid at 55k miles (that's the 3)? Seems a bit early for that.
Honda dealer in Minneapolis wants $331 to do all that. Seem right?

Also, how would I ask a local shop to do the same work without listing all the stuff. Would I ask for 60k mile service?

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is it too early for B12...3?

I urge you to look at other threads discussing this topic on this forum (In my experience a Google search on THIS website works better).

However, I will try to give you summary: You appear to be lucky you went upto 55,000 miles before you got (...3) -- I replaced the transmission oil at around 24k, and have seen many others needing to do it between 24 - 30 k miles depending on the amount of city driving. I will take a guess that you had mostly highway driving?

Re: $331, that sounds atrocious. Unless you plan to flush the system, you'll need only 3qts of transmission oil. I did it at home after buying the fluid at a Honda service center for a total cost of < $30, IIRC. I'd pay a maximum of $75 in the US for THIS service, if I were you.

I don't believe in the 60k service, etc. any longer -- Honda's maintenance chart tells you what to do when you get various codes, I would stick to that instead. (And yes, I know, it will indeed cost additional money to check out the brakes or drain the brake fluid or some such...)

Good luck,
-ag

Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just to be clear, the $331 quote is for the whole B123 service, not just the "3" (transmission fluid).

Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xoham
Just to be clear, the $331 quote is for the whole B123 service, not just the "3" (transmission fluid).
Again, I re-iterate, please look at other threads on this forum. For example

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ourself-18371/

Old 11-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Patrick, The CVT oil came up at 32,000 kilometers on my 06, so 55'000 thousand miles is way out there! The CVT only requires 3 qts. of CVT oil and is not difficult to changes. #1 is tire rotation and some of us debate if that is really necessary. It is hard to notice when uneven tire ware with rotation so often.#2 I think is just the air cleaner. Very easy to replace. Check out some old how to threads. Dealers a not cheap? H

Old 11-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by btownmadness
Again, I re-iterate, please look at other threads on this forum. For example

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ourself-18371/
Thank you, and everyone that replied to this thread. I will be replacing my own air filters. You are all generating good karma for yourselves.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Note I replaced them myself at about $15.00 a filter. It took less than 30 minutes. The engine one was just slightly harder to get out. No tools needed.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xoham
Also, how would I ask a local shop to do the same work without listing all the stuff. Would I ask for 60k mile service?...
That would be asking for trouble. Either:

1. The guy would be stumped.

2. The guy would be stumped, but would quickly respond with: "Yes, well, the 60,000 mile service. Let me see..."

Seriously, I would tell him what you want doing. Just for the record here's a break down:

B:
*Replace engine oil and oil filter
*Inspect front and rear brakes
*Check parking brake adjustment
*Inspect these items:
-Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
-Suspension components
-Driveshaft boots
-Brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
-All fluid levels and condition of fluids
-Exhaust system
-Fuel lines and connections
1:
*Rotate tires
2:
*Replace air cleaner element
*Replace dust and pollen filter
*Inspect drive belt
3:
*Replace transmission fluid

A few comments:

I prefer to change transmission fluid frequently, usually more frequently than recommended. Even with the pricey HCHII CVT fluid, I look on it as cheap insurance.

Tire rotations should cost anything if the car's also in for brake inspection. It's simply a matter of putting the tires back on different corners. Also, if you have a set of 4 safety stands and a floor jack, this is something easily done yourself. And if you have separate snows on rims, it's just a matter of rotating when you switch summer to winter tires.

The B items, apart from oil/filter change and brake inspection (even that can be little more than a quick check, depending on the dealership), are really cursory checks.

The filter replacments should cost next to nothing for labour, as you can attest.

The CVT fluid from my Canadian parts department was $19.52 one time, and $16.27 another time, when they gave me a bit of a break. That's per US quart, and 3 qts are needed for a CVT fluid change.

BTW, I don't own an HCHII anymore, as my avatar shows, but our former '06 HCHII is still "in the family"

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-16-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

I just paid $409 for Service code B123 but I live in CT so everything is expensive here.
Once the warranty is over I will try to find an alternate place to do it other than the dealer. This service thing is becoming real expensive even for oil change at dealer.
My next car will be all Electric but of course I'm sure they'll be something else.