HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Took the curve out of the seat by adding foam and my back is loving it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Took the curve out of the seat by adding foam and my back is loving it.

For tall guys with bad backs.

I'm 6'3" and seats that curve slightly forward near the top are not my friend. Flat back seats keep my back healthy. Unfortunately the trend is going the other way. Car seats, office chairs, and airline seats are all killers for me.

Anyway after paying some seat upholsterers to fix my '06 3-series (they just changed the seats). I attempted to do the same to the HCHII.

The seatback comes off by popping the sides back and then sliding the whole seatback down. There are little clips at the bottom that popped off too. I have had the back of the seat only halfway on for the past couple off weeks while I test different bit of foam in there. So, I haven't put the seatback totally back on. It appears you just have to line all the plastic hooks back up and man-handle the seat back on. DISCLAIMER: I haven't done it yet, so you may want to wait until I am successful before trying.

I put a piece of seat foam about 12"x12"x1" in the upper part of the seatback and most of the curve is now gone.

There are no sensors there and the side airbags are not in the way at all.

Just wanted to share my experience and let anyone in a similar boat know that there is an easy, cheap DIY to fix it.

I know this thread is worthless without pics. I will take some this weekend.

Cheers, Ian

Old 11-16-2006, 08:26 PM
F**k ExxonMobil
Default Re: Took the curve out of the seat by adding foam and my back is loving it.

i have the same problem. i use a lumbar roll:

Old 11-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Took the curve out of the seat by adding foam and my back is loving it.

I've experimented with those as well. I always hated having to adjust it everytime I got in the car.