HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Trading in 06 Civic Hybrid...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Trading in 06 Civic Hybrid...

Well, at the end of the month I will be changing jobs and my daily 160 mile roundtrip commute will now be down to under 12 miles! So I don't need my hybrid anymore.

It isn't on KBB yet, but for those of you who had checked or looked into it? What should I expect on my trade? I have almost 14K miles - I bought it about 3.5 months ago. It is the non-nav version. It is galaxy grey.

Wasn't sure if anyone here has had any experience with that yet.

I had thought about selling it myself as I know I would get more, but figure after the sales tax savings (you only pay the sales tax on the difference between the new car and the trade), it wouldn't/shouldn't be that big of a difference. At least not to deal with the hassle of the selling it myself.

Unless someone here is seriously interested...... I am in Harleysville, PA (zip 19438)

Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trading in 06 Civic Hybrid...

So what happens if you have to change jobs again and wind up with another long commute? Or if you decide to take a cross-country driving vacation? Or if gas prices climb to >=$4? If any of the above happens, you'll wish you had your hybrid back.

FYI, hybrids save you money regardless of how much or how little you drive. A short daily commute is no reason to sell.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

I sold my '05 civic hybrid for $19K back in late April. It was one year old, with 11,800 miles. I upgraded to an '06.

I don't get your reasoning for selling your hybrid though. My roundtrip commute is only 10.2 miles, so I'm barely even warmed up when I arrive at work. I still manage to get outstanding mileage that I doubt I'd come anywhere near in a non-hybrid. My trip meter is currently showing 105 miles at 60.5mpg.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

I guess the part that I had left out was that my new job they are paying for all my transportation costs (car, insurance, fuel, maintainance, etc.) as part of my compensation package. Even without that part, with an annual mileage of under 3000, the difference in gallons consumed at 50 mpg vs. 10 mpg is only 20 gallons/month. Figure it would do the enviornment more if someone could realize more fuel savings (I was saving over 100 gallons/month with my 160 mile/day roundtrip over my full size pickup).

Doppler - I appreciate the feedback on your sale. I was hoping it would hold it's resale. Figure if I can get about $20K I would net out even with my gas savings. Did you sell it privately or trade it in?

Old 08-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

You have a few miles on there, but it should not affect you much. $20k should be easily attainable. As a matter of fact if I were you I wouldn't settle for less. What are you replacing it with?

Can you tell those of us here don't want to see you part with it?

Old 08-18-2006, 02:44 PM
'06 HCH Owner

I'm just curious, are people only buying the car to save money on gas? Is it not a car that people just see and are like "wow, I really like this car and would love driving it everyday".

You aren't the first person that has wanted to sell their Civic Hybrid because their commute is shorter now. Are you unhappy with the car other than gas milage?

-Morgan

Old 08-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Right now, I drive my new HCH about 200-250 miles a day, with a pretty even split between city and highway. Though I only plan on driving it this way for maybe 2 more months before a more permanent form of employment opens up (I'm a courier while I change careers), I will keep my car even if I get a job 4 miles from my house. I enjoy the car, and when gas spikes again (it's been dropping like a rock since I bought it...figures), I'll smile knowing I won't have to pay that often.

I've had my Hybrid for 2 weeks, and already I've saved $90 in gas over my previous car, which was an '01 Nissan Sentra (24/31), but besides that, It's just a sharp car!

Old 08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gchu
Doppler - I appreciate the feedback on your sale. I was hoping it would hold it's resale. Figure if I can get about $20K I would net out even with my gas savings. Did you sell it privately or trade it in?
Technically, I traded it in. The buyer, a friend and coworker of mine, accompanied me to the dealership when I went to pick up my '06, and bought it from the dealership at my asking price. This saved me about $1,400 dollars in sales tax because I only had to pay tax on the difference between the trade-in sale price and the price of the '06.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MWAMAC
I'm just curious, are people only buying the car to save money on gas? Is it not a car that people just see and are like "wow, I really like this car and would love driving it everyday".

You aren't the first person that has wanted to sell their Civic Hybrid because their commute is shorter now. Are you unhappy with the car other than gas milage?

-Morgan
For the commute I had, it was the best car that met my needs - good handling, comfort, safety and excellent fuel economy. Safety was my top priority for obvious reasons. Fuel Economy was my second priority as I was dring 160 miles a day to get to work. Good Handling was third as most of my driving was on the highway with a lot of jockeying going on among trucks. Comfort was fourth since I was in the car for 3 - 3.5 hours/day. For the price, it was the best solution.

Now that my commute will be down to under 12 miles/day, I can get back to what I driving what I love driving - crew cab full size 4x4 pickup trucks (I had an F150 and Titan before my HCH II). I don't lift them or mod them out, I just like the open airy feeling for driving a truck plus the convience of fitting my entire family easily and hauling all the toys and bikes that are associated with a 4 year old and 4 month old.

I had really wanted to get an Excursion Diesel, but they stopped making them. So I'll probably just get a crew cab pickup - I am considering the Ridgeline, but it seems a little small for the price (I can get a Titan, F150, Tundra, Avalanche for about the same price).

I actually had originally planned to give my car to my mother in law - she drives about 20k/year (her current car is a 99 Corolla with about 130K miles on it). Figure it would help her out with a "new car" as well as save her money on gas, but she declined!?!?!?! Said she didn't want to drive a car that she couldn't see the front. Never really anticipated having someone turn down a "free" car that is almost brand new. Go figure......

Old 08-19-2006, 09:23 AM
'06 HCH Owner

Originally Posted by gchu
For the commute I had, it was the best car that met my needs - good handling, comfort, safety and excellent fuel economy. Safety was my top priority for obvious reasons. Fuel Economy was my second priority as I was dring 160 miles a day to get to work. Good Handling was third as most of my driving was on the highway with a lot of jockeying going on among trucks. Comfort was fourth since I was in the car for 3 - 3.5 hours/day. For the price, it was the best solution.

Now that my commute will be down to under 12 miles/day, I can get back to what I driving what I love driving - crew cab full size 4x4 pickup trucks (I had an F150 and Titan before my HCH II). I don't lift them or mod them out, I just like the open airy feeling for driving a truck plus the convience of fitting my entire family easily and hauling all the toys and bikes that are associated with a 4 year old and 4 month old.

I had really wanted to get an Excursion Diesel, but they stopped making them. So I'll probably just get a crew cab pickup - I am considering the Ridgeline, but it seems a little small for the price (I can get a Titan, F150, Tundra, Avalanche for about the same price).

I actually had originally planned to give my car to my mother in law - she drives about 20k/year (her current car is a 99 Corolla with about 130K miles on it). Figure it would help her out with a "new car" as well as save her money on gas, but she declined!?!?!?! Said she didn't want to drive a car that she couldn't see the front. Never really anticipated having someone turn down a "free" car that is almost brand new. Go figure......
Well that is understandable if you are getting a truck, that's a big difference. I love trucks too. My boyfriend drives a Jeep and his Dad has a F-150 that we also drive all the time. Trucks are really nice if you can afford the gas money, that is really the only downfall of them (in my opinon). Before purchasing my Civic Hybrid I wanted a Jeep Cheroke, I love SUV's, but since I drive for work, I figured I would save so much more money with the Hybrid.

That is funny about your mother-in-law, maybe she is just happy with her car and has gotten comfortable with it and doesn't want to give it up!

-Morgan

Quick Reply: Trading in 06 Civic Hybrid...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands