HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Trip MPG vs tank/total MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trip MPG vs tank/total MPG question

Hey all:

Got a question about keeping track of overall MPG (which I've always done manually with a little notebook in the glove box!! - - still have it for the new HCHII as well...) vs tracking MPG for a trip.

I know there is a Trip A and Trip B meter in the HCHII, but if I switch to Trip B for a highway trip I'll be taking this weekend (currently on 0), those numbers do NOT figure in on Trip A, right? In other words, there is no "overall" or "average" MPG function if you use the different trip meters?

Not really a problem, except that I want to brag to the folks we will be with over the weekend . About 70 miles into 2d tank, all in town driving (but with many 4 lane, limited-stop roads; about 10 miles to work), I am getting 47.4 mpg -- first tank total was 46mpg.

I think I am finally learning how to drive the car better!!

Love the car, love this group!!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Trip MPG vs tank/total MPG question

The two odometers are independent of each other. Many of us use one as a tank, the other as a lifetime (at least until it gets to 10,000 miles), others use one tank, other segment (like trying to beat your personal best on a daily commute).

Old 09-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
The two odometers are independent of each other. Many of us use one as a tank, the other as a lifetime (at least until it gets to 10,000 miles), others use one tank, other segment (like trying to beat your personal best on a daily commute).

Yeah, that's what I thought -- I already ruined the "lifetime" one because on the first tank we messed around with both trip meters. As I said, I have always kept a manual MPG log in the glove compartment, and started this on the day we brought the car home, so no worries!! Besides, I am participating in the MPG database, and it will tally my lifetime MPG as well.

cheers, and thanks for the reply!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM
'06 HCH Owner

I always thought that both Trip's worked at the same time. For instance if you are using Trip A for a tank of gas but want to use Trip B for a certain trip, even though Trip B is starting from 0 for that trip, Trip A is still calculating your mpg for the tank of gas. So both Trips are constantly gaining miles until you reset them. Trip A until you refill your tank and Trip B when you are ready to check your mpg for a certain trip somewhere. (If you use them in that way)