HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Turning Air Conditioning off by default?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Turning Air Conditioning off by default?

Hi Mendel:
There is a button to turn the A/C off Mendel. Just push the A/C button and it turns the air on or off. I just discovered this a mth. ago. Try it. H

Old 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Oh, I know about the AC on/off button. But on past Honda's this was the button that determined if you got AC or not, a separate AC switch. If you turned it off it stayed off. Now with the HCHII, every time you turn the system off, and then on again, you've got AC.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Hi Mendel: On my 06 when I turn it off it stays off until you actually make the change. I had to tell my wife to turn it on at least once a month just to re lube the compressor. I wonder why yours would be different than mine? H

Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 AM

What happens if you hit the off button, and then Auto? Or alternately hit off and then turn the fan speed dial up one click?

With ours both of those actions will leave you with AC on, regardless of how it was set prior to turning the system off. The first action causes everything to be set to defaults, the second action puts everthing to your previous settings, accept for AC on. In short, the dang AC keeps going on every time you switch the system back on, by whatever method.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 07-17-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:06 PM

Hi Mendel:
I use Auto setting only. If for some reason I prefer not to have air on, I push the A/C button and it turns the air off. It also notes the air is turned off. The air will not come on again until you push the A/C button again. My car is in Victoria so I cannot go out and see what other things do, sorry! H

Old 07-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

Harold, thanks for mentioning lubing the compressor. That's probably why, when I saw that key combo to force the A/C off, I didn't do it.

Hi Mendel, I'll have to check the way my controls behave. Can't say I've ever paid that much attention, sometimes the air is on, sometimes off but I can't remember how I would have left it.

Last edited by cylverbak; 07-17-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:49 PM

I find with Auto setting the AC is almost invariably on. One way to tell: you can hear the compressor running during Auto-Stop. It's not a deal braker, but in the old days there was an AC switch: click it off and AC didn't happen, period.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 AM

I can not hear that well, but when it shows A/C off it feels like it is off. Have you tried it in Auto mode and then push A/C button once to turn A/C off. I don't think the A/C runs? H

Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Harold, yes: if I push Auto, and then AC off, it is off, that's a given.

The OP's (and mine) concern: it would be nice to shut AC off, and it stay's off, even if you hit Auto. In short a single, dedicated AC switch: shut it off it stays off, just as if you'd snip the wires running to the compressor, LOL.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Think green.

These climate control systems are so dang confusing.*

I once had a Plymouth Duster with the most basic climate control ever. Either I got to roll down the windows, or open the air vents. These consisted of 2 boxes under the dash that had doors that you unlatched and opened. They were big enough that you could stash a small book inside them. Primitive, yet effective.

*Sorry I just had to vent. haha.

Quick Reply: Turning Air Conditioning off by default?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands