HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Used battery installed- no improvement in MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Used battery installed- no improvement in MPG

As i said in my other post, i did not swap the whole battery assembly, but rather, just the actual battery pack. I left the original cooling blower and whatever those other components are.

I have not done a proper road test but early indiccations are that this battery is no better. But after a few days of driving my IMA light has not come on.

I'll probably switch the rest of the components this weekend.

Does anyone have any insight?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Used battery installed- no improvement in MPG

The owners manual for the 2006 HCH has this notice in the "Vehicle Storage" section. "If this vehicle is unused for over one month, the service life of the 158V Nickel-Medal Hydride battery will be reduced and the battery may be permanently damaged." Maybe the second hand battery was damaged.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

What was the first battery doing? Re-cals? loss of power? Conventional starter was starting the car?

What is the new battery doing? are you getting re-cals?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Old battery could not get out of the 30's if i worked at it. IMA light came on regularly. Car used 12v starter if it sat over the weekend.

New battery is getting 40 if i work at it but none of the other problems, so it is bettter.

I will change the rest of the battery pack (converter circuit) and see if that helps.

It's still better.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

i wouldn't change anything else. I think you fixed it. The battery will not improve your mileage as much as you think, maybe 5%. You may have to wait for the car to re-learn itself now that you reset the power.

I would check your tire pressure, air filter, and speeds also for MPG improvement

However, you will notice your new battery will always give you acceleration when you need it which is a huge safety improvement, and you won't get annoyed by all the recalibrations