HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Wanting to squeeze more life out of a dying battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Wanting to squeeze more life out of a dying battery

Originally Posted by S Keith
Pull the IPU lid and check the 11 block voltages after sitting 10+ hours. If they have a small deviation (<0.2V), grid charging is likely a solution.

Hey Keith, thanks for the quick response. It's sitting now so I can test it tomorrow.

If there's a small deviation, I will be building my own charger / discharger as I have an old PC PSU and some of the other parts laying around.

I will need to purchase the harness from Hybrid Automotive so that it can power the built-in fan so I don't have to take the pack out of the car.

Any chance you know what type of connector the harness is terminated in, so I can interface with it?

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Something like this, but I can't say for certain. Not sure of the pinouts either.

https://www.alliedelec.com/te-connec...BoC1ZIQAvD_BwE

Old 10-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

Pull the IPU lid and check the 11 block voltages after sitting 10+ hours. If they have a small deviation (<0.2V), grid charging is likely a solution.
Am I supposed to do this BEFORE or AFTER the "3x 12v reset" discussed here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...21/#post263170

thanks.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:38 PM

The 3X 12V reset can mask issues. If you do the 3X 12V reset, I would wait until the car codes again or shows frequent recalibrations before checking the taps.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you, I really appreciate all your help.

New owner of an 06 HCH-II here, hence the username.The car and battery only have 50k miles so I'm optimistic for good results.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:46 PM

LOL on name...

Not trying to be a d1ck, but optimism with the HCH2 battery almost always meets with disappointment. Maybe you'll get lucky, but keep your expectations low. The fact that you're having problems already is testament to the fact that low mileage hybrids tend to have battery problems, and HCH2 batteries are just turds.

The BEST possible outcome is that you get a functional battery that needs somewhat regular maintenance, e.g., grid charge overnight every 90 days and do a full recondition once/year.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast

LOL on name...

Not trying to be a d1ck, but optimism with the HCH2 battery almost always meets with disappointment. Maybe you'll get lucky, but keep your expectations low. The fact that you're having problems already is testament to the fact that low mileage hybrids tend to have battery problems, and HCH2 batteries are just turds.

The BEST possible outcome is that you get a functional battery that needs somewhat regular maintenance, e.g., grid charge overnight every 90 days and do a full recondition once/year.
fair enough

where are the 11 block voltages located and how do i test them -- where do i put the red lead and the black lead from my multimeter? do i open the battery cover circled in red and go to the sticks directly, or can i test it at one of the other places here? colored circles for reference:

https://i.imgur.com/kDV17Uh.jpg

Old 10-30-2017, 05:08 PM

Yellow circled plug in place (do not disconnect. Just probe the back of the plugs):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4sj188ldw...Check.png?dl=0

pins 1 & 7 are at the top.