HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

We lost our Top Safety Pick rating.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default We lost our Top Safety Pick rating.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

Presumably because we don't have traction control.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Default Re: We lost our Top Safety Pick rating.

From cnn:
Also, vehicles must be available with electronic stability control, at least as an option, to earn the award.

For that reason, five vehicles - the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, Subaru Impreza, Saab 9-2X and Honda Civic - that won the top award last year were dropped from the list this year.

ESC is available on one version of the Honda Civic, the Civic Si, but that version did not do well enough in whiplash protection to earn top marks.

Electronic stability control, or ESC, helps drivers maintain control during abrupt emergency maneuvers. According to crash statistics gathered by the Insurance Institute and the government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, ESC could prevent more than 10,000 deaths annually if it were installed on every vehicle in the U.S.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:48 AM

I hope Honda adds it for 2008.
I'll probably trade up for it.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

It should not be a very hard thing for the marketing heads @ NA Honda to accommodate. The european version of the HCH-2 has ESC so it is not a technical challenge at all.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 11-21-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by noflash
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

Presumably because we don't have traction control.
I don't think it because of the lack of traction control, it's probably stability control which is not the same thing.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
I don't think it because of the lack of traction control, it's probably stability control which is not the same thing.
From cnn:
Also, vehicles must be available with electronic stability control, at least as an option, to earn the award.

For that reason, five vehicles - the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, Subaru Impreza, Saab 9-2X and Honda Civic - that won the top award last year were dropped from the list this year.

ESC is available on one version of the Honda Civic, the Civic Si, but that version did not do well enough in whiplash protection to earn top marks.

Electronic stability control, or ESC, helps drivers maintain control during abrupt emergency maneuvers. According to crash statistics gathered by the Insurance Institute and the government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, ESC could prevent more than 10,000 deaths annually if it were installed on every vehicle in the U.S.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

We can't go fast enough to need it... lol

Old 11-27-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by noflash
From cnn:

I assume you are in agreement?

Old 11-27-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
I assume you are in agreement?
I am.