HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What is the most unused feature in your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default What is the most unused feature in your car?

Similar to the "Hidden Feature" thread and "Why did you buy your HCH" I was thinking about what Features I seldom or never use in my car. In no particular order:
  • Voice-guided fan speed and temperature setting - rarely used (I find it faster to turn the **** a few clicks - plus - I often can't remember what temp or fan speed the setting is currently and can't remember if it responds to "Fan speed down 2" or not without looking it up and I don't use it often enough to remember either)
  • Front-seat cup holders - seldom used (the condensation leaves pools of water down there so I've put a napkin in there but usually drink from 20 oz plastic bottles which fit perfectly in the "map pocket" of the door)
  • Fuel door and engine oil cap () - seldom used (as compared to other cars driving the same amount of miles)

Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What is the most unused feature in your car?

Okay, I'll give it a go on this one...

Most of the voice features of the NAVI (my tires at 44 psi give too noisy a ride for decent voice recognition).... PC card... Auto door locking / unlocking...

Then the smart aleck answers: RPM rev limiter... airbags... ABS, wipers, and heater (I live in so. cal!!)... the legacy starter motor... metric displays... And the least used feature?... the warranty! (haven't used it yet! 1 year in April!)...

Old 02-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

a/c

Old 02-24-2007, 02:27 AM
Enthusiast

The DRLs. I purposefully disabled mine to prolong the life of the headlamp bulbs and to reduce the electrical (and ultimately, mechanical) load. Also, it restores some control of the car's functions to me.

As far as them being a safety feature-- GM performed a study which concluded that they were effective in reducing nighttime accidents.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't want to get off-track here but want to respond to the DRL point. I also disabled mine but for another reason. My wife's New Beetle has the DRLs on and it makes it impossible to flash your headlights at someone to cross the street or to go next at a 4-way stop or for a semi to pull back in front safely. WIth the lights on and flashing the low beams or half-low beams to the high beams make it harder to distinguish but when they are off and you flash them on then it is much easier to notice.

Anahym - good point on the other items but you cheated by saying Airbags and such as those aren't really features you can "keep" using but I know what you mean. And those of us who live in the car use the PC card reader constantly (like me). The shorter-trip folks are the ones who use the cupholders for their coffee between home and work I bet.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Air conditioner.
In the 13 months I've had it I have used my AC about a total of 30 minutes.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:56 PM

I'll also have to say AC, but also cruise control.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:22 PM
The Devil's in the detail

what the hell is DRL???

Old 02-24-2007, 02:33 PM
OT7
Enthusiast

Daytime Running Lights

Old 02-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Vegetarian

The backseats.

Quick Reply: What is the most unused feature in your car?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands