HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What's the best temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default What's the best temperature?

Does anyone know what the best temperature is for the HCHII in terms of fuel economy? Just curious...

Old 08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What's the best temperature?

Cold and hot extremes seem to put a big penalty on the HCHII... I'm guessing anything in the 60 - 90 degree range would give "ideal" MPG readings. The other factor (in the range above 75 degrees) is your need for A/C.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's been over 100 here in Austin for the past couple of weeks. I'm getting outstanding mileage. Over 60mpg, in fact. Yes, that's with no a/c. :-) In general, I've found that 70-80 degrees is optimal because it's warm enough that the car can warm up more quickly yet cool enough to not have to run the a/c.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:46 PM

I believe MPG goes up with temp till the temp equals the temp of the engine block, which must be well over 200 degrees F.

The key is NOT using the AC.

I can tolerate up to 94 degrees F before turning on the AC.
Good thing it has never exceeded 94.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
I believe MPG goes up with temp till the temp equals the temp of the engine block, which must be well over 200 degrees F.
That's probably true for the ICE, but not for the IMA. The battery is designed to basically shut down (no charge, no discharge) to protect it at temps over 100 degrees.

Doppler... you're probably just at the threshold where the battery still operates. A degree or two more and you'd experience the problems we had here in CA a month ago (when temps were 107).... no assist... no autostop... POOR mpg!

Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 AM

Good point. At that point I say set the ac to 99 so it doesn't come on as much

Of course you have to be able deal with swiming in your own sweat. But some of us here are that nuts.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I can't believe you guys are willing to ride in 94 degree heat without A/C. Frankly, if I couldn't run A/C, I might as well not buy a new car. If I can't enjoy the car, what's the point?

Old 08-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by JordanCS
I can't believe you guys are willing to ride in 94 degree heat without A/C. Frankly, if I couldn't run A/C, I might as well not buy a new car. If I can't enjoy the car, what's the point?
I notice most of those who can drive with windows down at 95 degrees live in Cali or AZ, dry climates. From trips for Pheonix with the dry heat you hardly feel uncomfortable with windows down on the road. In FL or even here in CT on a humid day....wow can't stand it even at only 80 degrees, feels like im swimming in air

Old 08-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Efficiency Nut

I'm near Houston where it has been near 100 and always very humid.
I do a highway commute at 7 AM when the sun is just coming up and the temp is 78 to 84, Windows down is perfectly fine with no A/C, so morning milage is near 60 mpg at 58 mph speed (about 1600 on the tach). When I drive back at 6:30 or so, it is still 92 to 94 degrees, so I cool awhile with AC at 74 then up it to 78 (it's just as cool). Mileage is about 54 to 56 under those conditions, so I don't feel bad. At 97 degrees, all bets are off, and I hope to see 48 mpg! Peter

Old 08-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sungod18
From trips for Pheonix with the dry heat you hardly feel uncomfortable with windows down on the road.
I beg to disagree (or maybe I am a wimp). I am in AZ and I get terrible milage when it is over 110 but I refuse to "swim in my own sweat". It may be a dry heat but when it hurts to breathe in the air, that is no fun and it is very uncomfortable.

Quick Reply: What's the best temperature?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands