Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   What's the danger of riding this with the IMA and check engine warning? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/whats-danger-riding-ima-check-engine-warning-27351/)

Kendor 11-11-2011 02:59 PM

What's the danger of riding this with the IMA and check engine warning?

My 2009 HCH has 51k miles on it. Recently I'd started to get an intermittent check engine light, and IMA light (sometimes just check engine). I took it to the dealer and they indicated that they did something software wise, but that if it continued to happen, I might need a new battery. Initially the problem seemed solve, but now they intermittence is back. Last couple of days, the lights have not appeared; however, I suspect it will come back. Car appears to be fine, and my mileage is pretty consistent with what I've seen over the life of the car.

Am nearing the end of 3 year lease (3/2012). I purchased an extended warranty at lease signing (via Honda Finance) as I purchased extra miles on the lease. Would the battery be covered?

Should I bring this back to the dealership? What's the danger of riding this with the IMA and check engine warning?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Harold 11-11-2011 06:10 PM

Re: What's the danger of riding this with the IMA and check engine warning?

My extended warranty covers the IMA system. Did you not get a break-down of what the extended covers. I have a pamphlet that shows the coverage. H

Kendor 11-12-2011 08:51 AM

This should be covered under the warranty, but since I suspect that I may be getting false readings (the MPG has not gone down), was potentially hoping to not have to go through the rigmarole of getting this repaired.

Harold 11-12-2011 11:08 AM

Watch it because some 2009 HCH have had IMA issue's. I am not sure, but if you take it in the code should still be in the system? H

ielmike 12-20-2011 05:38 AM

I have a 2009 HCH My IMA light went on. I took it to the dealer. The light came on again on the way home. This is the 4th time I've had it in due to this issue. I'd like to unload it but can't get reasonable offer for it even though it is under warranty. This is a bad car, pure and simple. I have had several other issues with it as well. For one, I can't get to my friend's house in Michigan because he lives at the top of a hill. I have to park at a gas station and my friend has to come pick me up. The last time I tried to make it up the hill I ended up sliding down backwards due to low power. I don't have this problem in any other car. My friends think it is hilarious. I'm not laughing....

Gairwyn 12-20-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ielmike (Post 239930)
The last time I tried to make it up the hill I ended up sliding down backwards due to low power.

That's weird. Was this on snow or ice?
Have you ever tried shifting into S or L to see if that would help?

ielmike 12-22-2011 10:36 AM

It is in the snow belt near the ski resorts so ya, lots of snow and ice. I am too scared to try it again. BTW I took my HCH back in and the dealer says I need a new battery pack. Since I am at 29,000 I get this one for free. Even so, I am trading my HCH in today. I got it for 19100 and I am selling it for 14000, which is a bit hit. I wanted to drive it for 100k plus but I can't be replacing batteries every 3 years or so. Anyway, I am buying a CIVIC HF. I will lose some mileage but not enough to warrant paying for a new battery. I will try to pass this on to my daughter when she turns 16 in about 5 years.

Harold 12-22-2011 12:05 PM

All you need is good winter tires!!! What tire did you have on the car? Probably the all season LRR tires. This is a poor winter tire. No wonder you had problems. H

reedog117 12-29-2011 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kendor (Post 239177)
My 2009 HCH has 51k miles on it. Recently I'd started to get an intermittent check engine light, and IMA light (sometimes just check engine). I took it to the dealer and they indicated that they did something software wise, but that if it continued to happen, I might need a new battery. Initially the problem seemed solve, but now they intermittence is back. Last couple of days, the lights have not appeared; however, I suspect it will come back. Car appears to be fine, and my mileage is pretty consistent with what I've seen over the life of the car.

Am nearing the end of 3 year lease (3/2012). I purchased an extended warranty at lease signing (via Honda Finance) as I purchased extra miles on the lease. Would the battery be covered?

Should I bring this back to the dealership? What's the danger of riding this with the IMA and check engine warning?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Take pictures of the IMA and check engine warning light with your cell phone along with the mileage on the gauge cluster when it happens. Then show it to the service person at Honda as proof that the lights are coming on.

electriclamb 01-09-2012 06:51 AM

Try going to a more competent Honda dealer too. I have found that not all dealers hire good techs. You may have had the bad luck of getting a poor tech on each of your last visits. What you described is a common problem for that car. Tell the owner of the dealership to either fix the **** car right or take back the lease.