HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

When is First Service Due?

Old 07-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default When is First Service Due?

I picked up my HCH II last week and it now has a bit over 500 miles on it. Can anyone tell me when the first maintenance service is due? 600 miles? 1000 miles? something else?

I looked through my owners manual but didn't see it there...

TIA.

Jeff

Old 07-25-2006, 05:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When is First Service Due?

Check the manual and numerous threads here. Your car tells you when you need it (see oil change display...change when it hits 15%; about 7500 miles OR SO depending on your driving conditions.) There are codes in the book- A, B, C and 1,2,3 etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

The car tells you when it needs service. There are various codes (A, B, C, 1, 2, ...) which indicate what needs to be done (check the back of the Owner's Manual for the details).

Your first service will likely be an oil change, code A. Under normal driving conditions, the car won't be ready until 7-10K miles. If you read the section on "break in period" in the Owner's Manual, Honda suggests that you leave the factory oil unchanged until the car indicates that a service is due. The maintenance minder will count back from 100 in increments of 10 until the service indicator comes on around 20 or 10.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:18 AM
PCK
Active Enthusiast

My sevice light turned on at approx. 8500 miles (15% oil life) and I had my first oil change and tire rotation done shortly after. I might wait till I see 5-10% till have have my second
service completed.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, thanks guys. I was aware of the maintenance minder and the codes they reference. I assumed that was for "normal" maintenance intervals and didn't necessarily include any special first service. Used to be you had to go in at 600 miles (still do on most new motorcycles) - appears there isn't any such thing. Shows you how long it's been since I bought a new car...

Anyway, thanks.

Jeff

Old 07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Regaj
Ok, thanks guys. I was aware of the maintenance minder and the codes they reference. I assumed that was for "normal" maintenance intervals and didn't necessarily include any special first service. Used to be you had to go in at 600 miles (still do on most new motorcycles) - appears there isn't any such thing. Shows you how long it's been since I bought a new car...

Anyway, thanks.

Jeff
Yeah, I just got my first Motorcycle in April, and that 600 miles sure does come up quickly- and what a surprise it is that you have to do that maintance. I'm just glad I know someone that could do it, I hear the 600 mile maintenace on my Kawasaki Vulcan 900 can be > $300.

I don't think in all the cars I've had in the past 15 years, that I've ever known of an early maintenance on one. If there was any, I'm sure I'd have gotten mildly chewed out for not doing them, by my stepfather who's a mechanic. :-)

-Mo