HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

When to Purchase new Navi DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Aspiring Hypermiler
Question When to Purchase new Navi DVD

I checked out the specs on the latest (2008) DVD for the Civic Navi system. The latest update (released Fall of 2007 for the 2008 model year) includes a few minor bug fixes, POIs, Restaurant Icons and system functions. This latest update does not include any new map updates for New Mexico where I reside. This begs the question why I would (in my right mind) want to part with $185 + shipping & tax just to get the few minor functional changes in this latest annual update.

To others who have pondered the decision of when to order the update for their Navi DVD, when did you consider it worth the cost? I can afford the new DVD, but I would rather not waste my money if the benefits are not worth the cost.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When to Purchase new Navi DVD

It doesn't sound like it's worth the $185 if the state where you reside didn't have any updates.

On another note, I hope in the future that navigation system manufacturers start moving away from DVD storage to another form where I can upload map updates for free.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Energy Independence

I wouldn't pay $185 either, but...

I bought the then latest, greatest release (6.62A) back in December for $58, less than half the Honda/Alpine price on eBay. New, in the sealed package. Works perfectly. They are generally selling for higher than that now - I got a really good deal back then, but they were probably averaging under $85 on eBay back in December.
Not only that, but I sold my original DVD (version 6.11c) a few weeks later there too. My NET difference was less than $35

Quite a large upgrade for me, as it was several iterations newer. And there WERE considerable updates for my area. It's still a few years behind reality on the road changes/additions (but better than the original 2006 version). A lot of restaurant/shopping updates are much more current now.
It was used extensively and almost exclusively on my 4300-mile (to the West-coast) trip, and (more) accurate data was helpful all along the way, as we'd NEVER been that way before.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Pimpin ain't easy!

I was thinking of doing this too... But question... What does the "A" Stand for in the 6.62a? I currently have the old 6.11c and i'm assuming the "C" stands for "Civic" while the "A" could be for the "Accord"? Could there be differences between the Nav DVD's from other Honda models? Can the 6.62 of an Accord, Odyssey, Pilot, etc be any different of 6.62 of a Civic?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would stick to buying an atlas annually for the area you are in as opposed to upgrading the NAVI. Cost to benefit is much better, IMO, doing it that way. Of course, nothing beats vocal directions from the place you're trying to get to! You know....turn left at the barking dog, when you see the big rock turn right...that kinda stuff lol. Granted, I get "free" maps being a member of AAA so I always replace them on a yearly basis! I never really see much difference though from year to year, as not much new is being built for the most part.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast

For me, the answer is "When they finally get the I-355 extention added."
This major road improvement in SW Suburban Chicago opened too late to make the 2008 DVD.
I hope to see it soon.
The road's been open for at least 6 months, but even online mapping services don't show it yet.
If you live in West suburban or SouthWest suburban Chicago you understand why this is badly needed.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Energy Independence

cclark, I would NOT count on a brand new (less than a year or two old) road being on the 2009 or even the 2010 Navi DVDs. They just don't work like that. In a rare case, you might find a very recent road on there, but not likely.
There's a whole subdivision near me that's been around for 10 years - NONE of it is on my DVD! Nor is it on Mapquest. These things are SEVERAL YEARS behind reality with regard to road changes. All of them are, as it's just too difficult to catch up & keep up, I guess. It's one of the frustrating things about GPS - the maps are expensive and updates are STILL out-of-date.

Edwin, the .a .b .c etc, are just minor updates to the 6.62 (for instance) release. The later in the alphabet, the newer THAT release. Of course, the higher NUMBER is a more recent release. Thus 6.62.a is newer than 6.56c (and way newer than 6.11c).
The Accord and Pilot use a different numbering (and coloring) scheme altogether. It's orange or white, as I remember. Ours (and the CRVs' I think) are teal or turquoise.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
I wouldn't pay $185 either, but...

I bought the then latest, greatest release (6.62A) back in December for $58, less than half the Honda/Alpine price on eBay. New, in the sealed package. Works perfectly. They are generally selling for higher than that now - I got a really good deal back then, but they were probably averaging under $85 on eBay back in December.
Not only that, but I sold my original DVD (version 6.11c) a few weeks later there too. My NET difference was less than $35

Quite a large upgrade for me, as it was several iterations newer. And there WERE considerable updates for my area. It's still a few years behind reality on the road changes/additions (but better than the original 2006 version). A lot of restaurant/shopping updates are much more current now.
It was used extensively and almost exclusively on my 4300-mile (to the West-coast) trip, and (more) accurate data was helpful all along the way, as we'd NEVER been that way before.
Smart move. I am going to have to try this. Some times I have been successful updating electronics (cell phones, etc.) this way. Makes sense!!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cclark
For me, the answer is "When they finally get the I-355 extention added."
This major road improvement in SW Suburban Chicago opened too late to make the 2008 DVD.
I hope to see it soon.
The road's been open for at least 6 months, but even online mapping services don't show it yet.
If you live in West suburban or SouthWest suburban Chicago you understand why this is badly needed.
THe 355 extension will make it to the Navteq DVD about the same time we get our route 53 (I-355) extension up here in lake county...

Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

$185 is not too bad compared to others. Not that I think that $185 is worth it, but the upgrade DVD for the Acura TL is $350 and the Infinity QX45 $475, just for comparison.

Quick Reply: When to Purchase new Navi DVD

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands