Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Who has daily battery dumps or recals? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/who-has-daily-battery-dumps-recals-24632/)

cheezmo1 06-23-2010 02:33 PM

Who has daily battery dumps or recals?

I have this issue daily now. It was never for 3 years, than turned into weekly and now dialy for the last 3 months. I am in the process of talking to Honda support to fix my car since the 2 dealership visits found nothing wrong.
I was wondering how many others are having the recal or battery dump?

spdnjoe 06-23-2010 05:59 PM

Re: Who has daily battery dumps or recals?

Mine was doing it every day with 65k on the odometer. The dealer did software updates and so far I haven't had a dump/recal. It's now been 1.5k miles.

sactoroy 06-24-2010 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by spdnjoe (Post 223913)
Mine was doing it every day with 65k on the odometer. The dealer did software updates and so far I haven't had a dump/recal. It's now been 1.5k miles.

How do I know which software version I have and what is the latest version? I have a 2006.

spdnjoe 06-24-2010 07:48 AM

I got lucky. I just went to my local dealer and told them that my battery kept going to zero every morning and afternoon. He told me that they have TSB's for that. I made an appointment and they did a total of 4 software updates and replaced my rear upper control arms for the alignment issue. All for free. Go to your local dealer and tell them what is happening. I was told that there is no way to check to see if it has the updates or not. They will just hook up the scanner and do the updates automatically. Hope this helps you.

kristian 06-24-2010 09:09 AM

Before having TSB-0958 applied, I was having recalibrations every other day. After that was applied, the frequency went down a lot last summer, and I only had 2 or 3 of them over the winter. However, once temps started warming up again, I started having them more often (maybe 2x weekly).

In May they replaced my CVT, and after that, I was back to daily recalibrations. Luckily they seem to have gotten a little better--I haven't had any for over a week now. Hopefully that was just a re-learning thing for the PCM.

hansonclan 06-24-2010 01:49 PM

I have them pretty much every time I drive the car now, after having three software updates installed last week.

My car was great up until a couple of months ago, when it started warming up. Even last summer I only had recals about twice a month. Then I started getting them almost every day, and sometimes twice a day on my commute to work and home. It was getting out of control so I took it to the dealer and was relieved to see there were three updates to my software that I hoped would fix the problem.

It didn't.

Now, every time I drive the car for any distance I get a recal. It looks different than it used to though. Now, I get a forced charge and the SOC stays at 5 or 6 bars for quite some time. After several miles of forced charge, the SOC gradually starts decreasing to 1 or 2 bars, then after more miles of forced charging the SOC goes relatively quickly up to 8 bars.

Also, when it's hot on my commute home I only get two bars of regenerative braking, as if it's being limited.

So, the recals/forced charges look different with this new software, but I'm spending a lot more time charging than I used to. Since my service last week, I have been spending almost half my driving time charging the battery - prior to the new software it was maybe a quarter of the time. And up until a couple of months ago, a forced charge or recal was a rarity.

The next step is to take the dealership's shop manager with me while driving to observe the IMA behavior - haven't set that up yet.

fuelmiser 06-26-2010 08:13 AM

2009 HCH - I have them daily, had them twice a day until I just had a software update which fixed it for a week , now I just started having them daily again over the last 3 days. Think my battery is on it's way out with only 26k kms on the clock.

cali06hch 06-27-2010 09:08 PM

I had the same symptoms after 3+ years and 24k miles of perfect performance. No error codes were coming up when the dealer checked and the software updates did not solve the performance problem. At times the IMA was so depleted the car was a safety hazard and the MPG dropped 10-15%. The dealer took the car and their mechanics drove it over a few days. They experienced the problems exactly as I had described to them and they agreed the car was not acting properly and it was the IMA.

Bottom line is they went-to-bat for me with Honda American and the IMA battery was replaced under warranty. Problem solved... getting 44Mpg overall again and all is good. Avery Greene Honda in Vallejo CA is the best. No one else touches my Hondas.

iridium130m 06-28-2010 02:57 PM

wow, i wish i had your dealership. Ever since installing TSB-0958 on my 07 civic, i recal 2-3 times every day in the summer heat, and 1-2 times without a/c on. Tried pushing the issue and I get the the typical "no ima light, so honda won't do anything". My wife now hates to drive the car, which is really saying something cause she could care less about performance.

kpalmal 07-01-2010 08:56 AM

I am just about to hit 100k (2007 HCH II) and my IMA battery has been exhibiting these same symptoms for the past month or so. I though I was imagining it, or it was the heat (which does seem to make the problem worse) although I typically park in a parking garage and that does not seem to make much difference (just takes about 5 minutes longer before the problem starts happening). No light has ever come on but the charge drops rapidly (every time I drive); acceleration is sluggish when I lose the bars; I completely lost ALL bars once (which was kind of scary); MPG has dropped noticeably; and even after it recharges it doesn't hold the charge well. Called the dealer this a.m. to set up an app't. They told me the battery for the 2007 HCH has a 10 year/150K warranty in CA - phew (because by the time I drove to the dealer today I would probably be at 100,005). Wish me luck with my dealer!